Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: ZIL-111
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Wasn't sure if they were the same? If so then yes, I have it. But the frame for the GAZ is of an unusual, non Packard design... at least the movie which was a 1977 GAZ 14 Chaika.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 17:15
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
You got me there... but the 1977 GAZ I mentioned isn't a clone yet earler year models were. Guess that is what I am querying about.

Geezz.. was just trying to make small talk. Give a guy a break.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 17:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Huffstutler wrote: Oh wow, this is the first time I knew that the ZIL was a cousin to Packard........Eric
Eric,

As used here the word "cousin" is a rather loose term rather than one of inclusiveness. Any resemblance to Packards is just that, a resemblance, not a lineage or heritage connection.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 17:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Gerd,

I am sure you would make me happy, wasn't debating that. Wasn't even trying to get into a disagreement over semantics. Keep in mind that I didn't even know these cars existed until more recently other than growing up seeing a few as Russian limousines. If the ZIL and Packard are the same exact car, no need to go through the trouble of frame scans for them as I already have all the Packard frames from 1946-1958. But since I saw the movie "Babylon AD" and the 1977 GAZ frame as the car was hoisted into the air, it caught my attention that it was unique and wondered about the background history? Obviously the 1960 GAZ looked like a Packard but anything past that I am not sure or what they were trying to immitate or steal from? It is no secret I have a fascination about automobiles with X-frame technology. The tubular X that General Motors introduced on the 1957 Cadillac (I have frame scan as well as US Patent diagrams for this) was inspired by the Mercedes 300D frame of the early 1950s (that too I am still trying to find a chart for). The 1977 GAZ seems to have a frame design similar to both yet not quite and wondered if it was especially made for those cars for how many years and if inspired by what? Having a chart representative would be nice to actually see what they look like and know when they stopped using the X-frame?

Thanks!

Eric

Posted on: 2010/8/17 22:37
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Gerd,

Interesting. Obviously Packard ended using the X-Frame design when it changed over to the Studebaker frame for 1957. The picture is of a 1959 and the frame looks a bit unique. Any shop manuals or charts in your collection that shows the frame diagrams and dimensions like these for the 1955-1956 Packards?

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect11_Frame.pdf

Eric

Posted on: 2010/8/19 18:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Even this frame looks vaguely familiar for some reason. If I figure it out I will post my findings. Looking forward to any diagram/dimensions charts you may run across.

Eric

Posted on: 2010/8/20 8:03
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved