Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Weird electrical probblem with my break lights!!!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
Here's a weird situation. At one point my break lights and turn signal lights where working fine. My right side rear light went out so I replaced the bulb. Now the break lights work when you push the petal but the left side rear turn signal won't flash. But the right side flashes but the light will not come on unless you press the break or turn on the turn signal? Simply put my left rear light comes on when I turn on the lights and the right doesn't. when i press the break they both light up. (like they should). Now when I turn on the left turn signal the left rear doesn't flash. when I turn on the right signal it flashes even though the light wasn't on at first. The front lights work perfectly and the inside lights on the indicator work on one side but the bulb burnt out on the other. When I bought the car it already had a 12v. conversion done. And like i said it had been working fine but now i don't understand whats going on. Can some one please help

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Weird electrical probblem with my break lights!!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Pull the bulb and look at the contacts in the socket. The little bakelite piece with the contacts might have broken off it's retaining tab allowing the contacts to move, contacting both terminals of the bulb, and causing your problem.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And along Erics line, check to see which filament is which. Tail/park lights should use the small filament and brake/turn the large. Some bulbs have the index pins reversed or in just enough of a different place the bulb can be inserted & lock but wrong filament can be used.

A poor ground can cause the issue as can a burned out bulb somewhere else. Unless it a heavy duty or independent type, the flasher relies on a specific amount of resistance & current in the lamps to flash..

Here is an extraction of just the turn signal circuit if it might be of any help. Wire colors may not be exact for your car but the circuit is the same from 48 on.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?278

Posted on: 2009/6/7 18:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
Damn I love this site. Guys I have to say thank you for the quick response. I just replced all the wiring from where the harness comes into the trunk to all the lights this also includes the bulb sockets. But i'm still geting the same outcome. I have another question would the light being out on my dash have anything to do with it. the turn signal buld one on them is out.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
When I have a weird electrical problem like this my first thought is "bad ground".

Posted on: 2009/6/7 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I agree with the corroded Irishman, it's probably a bad ground if you've replaced all the wiring back there. Make sure that the sockets themselves and where they go into the tailights aren't rusty.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
You may want to check the polarity. I just rewired my tail light of my 55 patrician after having them re chromed and noticed that by switching the wires leading to the bulbs I eventually figured out how it worked. It is very noticeable on the back-up light, as one lead is a direct ground, choosing the wrong wire the bulb illuminates but are dim. I started with the tail lights and license plate lights as they would be always on, eliminating a handful of wires. I also agree that looking for a bad ground is a good place to start, such as the front right terminal block controlling your front turn signals and parking lights, if it corroded nothing seem to work correctly.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
when the l/r won't flash, dose the front? if not, that could be the flasher. have had the same problem with the "greendragon" and it was a bad flasher. i agree that the problem on the right is most likely a bad contact isolater as eric stated.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 18:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
both front flashers work it just the tail lights not working properly.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
then i'd say you have a connection problem at the socket. do you have a test light? if so, turn on the blinker, ground clip to the socket housing, testing tip to the contact. if the test light blinks, and the bulb won't when installed, then the contacts are not touching with the bulb installed.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 18:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved