Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)

Re: Eric's 1948 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2010/1/13 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

firedome wrote:
Cost aside, why no faith in Pertronix? I know quite a few folks with them and have never heard of any problems... what is your data base for the statement?

To each his own. If i go 12V, i would do Eric's mod over using the Pontiac HEI distributor for the reasons he's mentioned or dropping more money on a 12V pertronix, as much as i love them. If you accidentally leave the key on in this system will anything fry Eric?

He's correct about them not offering a module for every possible distributor, but have a pretty good offering for most run of the mill vehicles. If Eric made simple hook up kits for the Ford setup and sold them as a dedicated company with support/etc., i think he'd be in the same price range. Gotta charge if you don't want to do the R&D yourself.

They're the only way i know to get rid of standard ignition with a 6V system, which is what drew me to them. Mine and the few others I've known have never had to replace theirs, but i doubt that they've NEVER had a failure, that's not likely.

Side note to those running pertronix, make sure that the distributor has a good ground. It really is a 3 wire module, the red and black wires and the third wire, really through the mounting, to the ground. They claim most of the people saying they had a failed module turn out to be bad grounding issues.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I think that's an excellent idea, especially since websites are cheap and eBay can get it to the masses.

Google indexes this site like crazy, if you searched for points to hei or electronic ignition old cars, etc and it was in a thread here about your kit, people would find it.

Lots of mini-kits i have bought give you the guts for something but leave mounting and wire trimming and routing up to you.

I'd say a module, some kind of nice plug and then ask how long they want the harness when they order, some directions and good luck. Then when you're a millionaire, you can charge us $10 a head to view your personal Packard collection :)

Quote:

I thought about selling a kit that just wires in and has everything that someone needs to put it in in an afternoon. But, there'd have to be options as well, like where do you plan on putting the module, etc. This is dependent on the individual, as some will want it up in front of the radiator, or on the firewall, or on the fenderwell, etc. If there's enough interest in these I will make them up on a custom basis for people for a reasonable price, say $100 not including the module.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I might try the Ford one in the Executive, sounds intriguing, parts availability is nice. Though there is a warranty with Pertronix that the Ford wouldn't have, never had to use it though.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Thread closed, car for sale. Email at turbopackman327@gmail.com

Posted on: 2010/2/3 23:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Ag no man! Will miss this blog very much as I like the Club Sedans a lot!
Sorry to see you leave....

Posted on: 2010/2/4 2:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved