Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What oil do you use in your V8 Packard?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Well, it's time to change the oil in the 1955 400. With all this ZDDP talk going on, I don't know what oil to use. One person suggested I go to a tractor/farm supply store & buy oil rated for diesel engines since it would still have all the old style additives in it. Anyone out there who drives their V8 Packard a lot have any suggestions for a good oil to use? I know I can get the filter at NAPA.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 11:04
 Top  Print   

Re: What oil do you use in your V8 Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've used Shell Rotella SAE15W-40 and similar oils (Mobil DelVac) for a decade or so. Even the latest formulation should have plenty of ZDDP for our engines.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Multi-weight motor oils were just coming into use when your car was made. If I recall correctly, Havoline 10W-30 was on the market and undoubtedly used. If you're worried about the ZDDP content of whatever you're using, order some ZDDP-Plus and add 4 oz. when you change the oil. Use weight/viscosity that was recommended by Packard for the average temperatures encountered where you live. You can use the diesel motor oil if you choose. Many do.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
OK Guys,
My experience with oils in my 56 Executive in past 2 years I have owned car. First oil I ran was Castrol 10W/30, had loud lifter clatter on start-up after sitting awhile, especially overnight. Next oil used was Rotella 15W/40, some lifter clatter as above but not as bad. After reading the SDC article on motor oils and additives I ordered a case of Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 and did oil change. Just got back from a 300 mile trip and not as much as a whisper from the lifters at any length of down time. Just my observation from using different oils.
Bill

ps:As for the upgrade to disc brakes, the saved my a_ _ from plowing into an 18 wheeler blocking 1/2 I-30 in driving rain storm on the way home.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Well, you can play around with various brands and grades of motor oil to try and ameliorate lifter clatter, BUT...

The real problem is the oil pump. See various threads here on discussing this. The Melling/Olds oil pump adapter kit is now being sold by Jack Vines.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/6 18:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Craig,
I guess you have forgotten, I bought one from you but have not installed it yet, possibly a winter project, just describing my experiences with different lubricants.
Bill

Posted on: 2009/10/6 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
?, If you convert to Melling/Olds pump, don't you forfeit the vac pump as backup to manifold vac? And what is cost of converting.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 19:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

I have noticed an improvement in my 1956 Patrician since I started using Classic Car Motor Oil.

Jerry

Posted on: 2009/10/11 4:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
I've used Shell Rotella SAE15W-40 and similar oils (Mobil DelVac) for a decade or so. Even the latest formulation should have plenty of ZDDP for our engines.

If you don't mind my asking, where do you get such products, and at what price?

Posted on: 2009/10/16 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
The Melling/Olds oil pump is installed in my 1955 Constellation and it works perfectly no vacuum problems.

John

Posted on: 2009/10/16 19:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved