Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

Tobs, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Came accross this site about the Packard Plant
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2009/6/23 12:44
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: Came accross this site about the Packard Plant
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yesterday's Sunday New York Times magazine section had an article titled "GM., Detroit, and the Fall of the Black Middle Class". It contained a very recent page-and-a-half centerfold picture of the decaying Packard plant. While I don't suppose too much of our readership here gets the New York Times, I suppose the picture can be viewed on their on-line archive, and for that reason plus possible copyright issues, I'm not posting it here, but if you haven't seen the plant recently, it's worth a look. Date of publication was 6-28-09.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Another two-alarm fire last night :

http://www.freep.com/article/20090629/COL27/90629003/?imw=Y

I think there may be a growing groundswell of support in Detroit for tearing the whole thing down, now that the weekly fires and non-payment of taxes is getting publicized. As much as I've loved Packard, the automobile and the company, it's time to bury the decayed corpse of this plant and help this beleaguered city to move forward. Now that we have a new mayor and the biggest moron on the City Clowncil has pled guilty to accepting bribes and resigned, maybe there's a modicum of hope still alive for this place. Unfortunately, the time for hope for the old factory ended about 10 or 15 years ago.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It's funny to think that a factory has a lifespan just like a person or a car.

Even funnier to think that the life of a factory could be shorter than the life of some of the cars made in it.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
While the parent languishes, its prodigy is having a second chance at life. The Proving Grounds are coming back to life! To paraphrase a well know known English writer: Packard is dead, long live Packard!

Posted on: 2009/6/29 18:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
New Packard plant fire pics at this site:

http://jalopnik.com/5303681/abandoned-detroit-packard-auto-plant-catches-fire/gallery/

20 pics of recent fire.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 23:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved