Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Welcome new folks and voyeurs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wonder whether anyone has studied that agreement and those events, be a good book I imagine.

Those events are studied fairly well in James Ward's book The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company. You should find a short review of the book in the Packard Bookshelf. It's a good read and a book worth having.

Posted on: 2009/8/1 6:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John,
to PackardInfo. There are a fair few Aussie members on board here but I dare say that I'm the most active among them!

Sold a copy of James Ward's book The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company at the swap meet run in conjunction with this years Packard National Rally for AU$25.00 and saw one recently on Aussie eBay for AU$50.00.

The 14th Packard National Rally in 2010 is being held on Kangaroo Island just after that years Bay to Birdwood Run which will be attended by the Packards taking part in the National Rally. See you there!

Posted on: 2009/8/1 6:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Thanks Mate (smile)!!! I got in touch with Rob Trembath and he's going to keep me in the loop, and maybe I can come on the Packard KI run as the Studebaker is a S-P product, in anycase apart from my new Ford Focus Turbodiesel it's all I have.

Cheers

John

Posted on: 2009/8/1 6:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
John, as a native of Utica, NY, (and not have read the referenced book), can you inform me as to what plant you are referring to in Utica?

Posted on: 2009/8/1 19:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was plant in NY or was it the Utica, MI plant where V8 and Ultra production was? Believe they also did defense work there.

Posted on: 2009/8/1 20:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Utica, MI

Posted on: 2009/8/1 22:14
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Owen is correct, Curtiss-wright seem to me to have picked the eyes out of SP and dumped them to thier fate.

3 reasons have been given for Packard's failure:
1) They let Clare Briggs talk them into ending their own body production in favour of Briggs (was OK until he died and his family sold the business to Chrysler to meet inheritance taxes, needless to say Chrysler didn't want to make bodies for a competitor);
2) The damage to their production equipment which was stored during the war took a while to repair, giving other manufacturers a head start);
3) Most important of all at the time was their difficulty obtaining supplies of steel, GM and Ford, probably Chrysler too had connections (or owned) in the steel-making industry and smaller companies like Packard had to wait.

Regardless, we can be proud of our vehicles, after all who else can claim to have once been the best car in the world?

Posted on: 2009/8/2 2:39
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved