Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Modern transmissions??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
The standard 3-speed tranny (no overdrive) in my '41 Clipper is in need of lots of work after I jammed the gears really bad. Before I go about fixing the thing, is there any easy way to mate a modern automatic to my 282? I know after years of frustration with a '55 Ultramatic in his Clipper, my son had a Chrysler (747 maybe??) put in his car, and it has made all the difference for him. I like originality, BUT I'm not about judging . . . we tour a lot and an automatic with overdrive would really be nice... ADVICE/IDEAS/EXPERIENCE NEEDED!

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:41
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Re: Modern transmissions??
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If its already a stick as u indicate then the best and fastest and cheapest most effective route would be a some modern stick 4,5 or 6 speed overdive. Unless u really ahve to have an automatic for some reason.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
IF.. and I say IF, I was doing this, I would have a plate made to bolt to the back of the Packard engine and adapt it to a 700R4 trans. You'd have to make the adapter plate mount the starter so you wouldn't have to use the Chevy starter, I'd think something like an Olds/Pontiac/Buick/Cadillac starter might work. I don't remember which one of those mounts into the bellhousing instead of up into the block like the most brilliant idea of Chevy has, but if you can get one that doesn't it would be a start, and use a GM flywheel. The problem with all these is, most of the GM flywheels that will fit a 700R4 are so small you can't get the starter close enough without hitting the engine block/oil pan. (depending on where you mount it) Therefore, something like an E4OD from a Ford BB 460 might be better, as they're flywheels are large enough to get the starter away from the block. SOMEWHERE, I have a flywheel from a 460 Ford that's been modified to fit a Packard when I was thinking of putting a C6 trans behind a straight eight years ago. The dumb ba$tard$ at the machine shop drilled it backwards, however, and I gave up on that idea after spending over $100 on the flywheel and machine work and ended up with a screwed up flywheel.

If it was my car, I'd just put an R9 O/D in it and be done with it.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
It wouldn't be have to be an automatic. I want good, easy and cheap, something I can do, an impossibility I know.... R9? Hey I'm a novice here!

Posted on: 2009/6/29 23:11
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Turbopackman wrote:
Quote:
(snip) You'd have to make the adapter plate mount the starter so you wouldn't have to use the Chevy starter, I'd think something like an Olds/Pontiac/Buick/Cadillac starter might work. I don't remember which one of those mounts into the bellhousing instead of up into the block like the most brilliant idea of Chevy has, but if you can get one that doesn't it would be a start, and use a GM flywheel. (snip)

<p>1964 and earlier B-body Pontiac starter mounts in the bellhousing. You can still get these from standard auto parts stores. The Pontiac flywheel is 14in diameter, but that is probably too small for what Eric is describing.</p>
<p>
Craig
</p>

Posted on: 2009/6/29 23:54
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I guess maybe the best (easiest, cheapest) thing to do is just replace it with orignial equipment.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 7:38
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Is the housing on my 3-speed much different from the ultramatic of later years, or would they match up?

Posted on: 2009/6/30 7:40
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC, Eric has indicated in the past that there is a modern Ford or Chevy 5 speed over drive manual trans that bolts up to the streight 8 bell housing.

If u rebuild existing 3 spd keep in mind that gears a re usualy very expensive.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 7:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
IIRC, Eric has indicated in the past that there is a modern Ford or Chevy 5 speed over drive manual trans that bolts up to the streight 8 bell housing.

NO, a Ford T10 bolts up to the V8 bellhousing. The only way I got a 5 speed to bolt up to a straight eight bellhousing was to do a lot of modification, and it still wasn't right.

A bellhousing from a manual trans is different from an automatic trans, see my Packard manual bellhousing thread for the differences between V8 and straight eight manual bellhousings. I would imagine that an Ultramatic bellhousing will fit the engine in your car, but you'd still have no overdrive.

Personally, I'd try and find an R9 or R11 '50 and back overdrive trans to put in your car. That's what I'm doing in mine. Simple, easy, and no mess!

Posted on: 2009/6/30 8:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Denny,Sorry to hear of your problem. I think your best and lowest cost solution is to find another correct transmission. They are quite often sold on Ebay or perhaps if you advertise for one on the old car sites you will locate one near you.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 10:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved