Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 78

humanpotatohybrid, Aiden, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Modern transmissions??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Uncertain until I confirm the adapters are available. Then I will solicit advice. This car can be so much more enjoyable with an auto tranny. It already has been converted to 12 volts and has a good A/C.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
out of curiousity, I understand first hand the foibles of the Packard column shifter (mine fell out of 2nd yesterday on a bump), but what advantage do you see to an automatic? We're all big boys (and girls) here and know how to shift, after all.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 11:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Well, I will need to get clarification from this place just what Packard engine they were developing an adpater for as below is the email response I received. I have very limited data on this 120 and certainly no bell housing or crank figures.

"I don't know if my kit will work with that year engine. Send me a sketch of the bellhousing bolt pattern and crank bolt pattern and we can find out."

Th advantages of the automatic include, high on the list, convenience and not having to deal with clutches and overdrive cables and switchs for OD solenoids and all that. I have other stick shift cars, but this one is most cumbersome and an auto is the modern way to go.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
actually, the newer dual dry clutch, no clutch pedal transmissions combine many advantages of both manual and auto, but that's a conversion way beyond my contemplation!

Posted on: 2009/7/6 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Trog. Whatever trans u choose be sure to get one with Overdrive. The Overdrive will make the car even much more enjoyable for Interstate travel speeds and also increase engine life. That engine has a REAL LONG STROKE???? The long stroke at higher rpm's will cause premature ring wear because the piston speed is so much faster than in a shorter stroke engine at the same RPM.

CERTAINLY, the Packard Streight 8 has plenty of power to handle the overdrive and sustain 65 to 70 mph throughout all modern driving conditions?????? JUST NEED to keep engine RPM low. Hence the Over drive argument.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 13:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
So, anyone have bellhousing bolt pattern and crank bolt pattern for the '41 120 282 straight?

Posted on: 2009/7/6 20:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
Apparently this adapters place used a a 195? engine as a pattern. So, looks like a no go here for us '41s. Too bad!

Posted on: 2009/7/7 11:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
The transmission adapter company offers one for a Hudson 308. Didn't Hudson use Packard engines? The photo looks very close.

http://www.transmissionadaptors.com/Hudson308.htm

Posted on: 2009/7/10 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hudson used their own engines through out the life of the company, save '55 and up until May, '56, when they used Packard V8s. Nash, the same years and engines.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 18:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hudson used their own engines through out the life of the company, save '55 and up until May, '56, when they used Packard V8s. Nash, the same years and engines.

True, but you could still get the old Hudson L-6 308 in 55 and 56, and it was a wonderful engine.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 19:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved