Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

West Peterson, Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Gas Mileage check data
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
My Clipper with od gets about 18 on the highway but only about 12 in city driving.
After I rebuilt my 55 Caribbeans engine about 6 years ago, I filled up the gas tank and drove it about sixty miles. About 1 mile from home, the engine died. The gas gauge didn't work but I thought it could not have possibly run out of gas. I checked everything I could think of on the side of the road with 100 degree temperatures and no tools. I called AA and had the car towed the final mile home. Sure enough, the thing was out of gas. I guess I got about three miles to the gallon. The car was running poorly, the carbs I was using were not the Caribbean carbs but old carbs I had laying around. I removed the dual carbs in favor of a single quad. It runs fine and gets much better mileage now but nothing spectacular. Probably about 14 on the highway. I did find a pair of 55 Caribbean carbs and am now going to have them rebuilt. The dual quads will remain off unless an important show is involved

Posted on: 2009/7/10 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The best mileage I ever got on Best Other was 17.? and I doubt that as I was running 235/70 R15s. I got 15.? running up and back to New York state last year. I ran between 65 and 70.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 23:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Worst I own is 75 T-bird w/460 PI. Gets 6 to 8 mpg, but all six are great!

Posted on: 2009/7/11 6:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Just filled up my 56 Patrician today.Combined highway/city driving-14 MPG.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 7:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
The 14.4 average for city/highway driving corresponds to what I've been experiencing with my '55 Pat for the past 14 months or so of daily use. Recently bought another car so I could let it rest a little.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 18:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I just filled up my 38 coupe tonight - 14 MPG. That's mostly short drives going to cruise nights

Posted on: 2009/7/15 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Reyman R. Branting wrote:
Let's get a few more folks checking in with gas mileage. On my 55 400 w/ twinultramatic, my last tank was 9 mgp. Most of this was short distance, granted, but I'm still unhappy. The carb was rebuilt about 500 miles back. New tires properly inflated. No brakes dragging (so far as I can tell). Air conditioner was not on.

Is there a difference in mpg with an oil bath air cleaner vs paper? I'm using 15W-40 oil and type-F transmission fluid. Incidentally, since the rebuild, the TU high to direct is smooth, positive and a pleasure. Just wish I had an overdrive behind it.

I wonder how much a missing copper washer, causing fuel to slightly leak onto the intake manifold, would reduce fuel economy 🤔

Posted on: 3/3 11:48
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
55panama wrote:I guess I got about three miles to the gallon. The car was running poorly, the carbs I was using were not the Caribbean carbs but old carbs I had laying around.
As you learned, the correct dual quad carbs are very different from the random single 4-bbl, but not 5X worse. You had junk carbs pouring raw fuel down the intake.

FWIW, I've used professionally rebuilt single 4-bbl carbs on a Caribbean intake and with a direct reading O2 meter seen them producing ideal air/fuel ratio at cruise.

Where the major difference is at idle and deceleration. The single 4-bbl has four idle passages. The correct dual 4-bbl carburetors plug the secondary idle passages, so the manifold sees only four, not eight idle passages. With all eight idle passages functioning, the air/fuel mixture will go dead rich on deceleration, wasting a lot of fuel.

Also, the procedure for adjusting idle is critical and there is a Rochester Technical Bulletin which shows step-by-step how to correctly adjust the idle.

As you probably know, the 1955 Caribbean carbs are quite different than the 1956 versions.

jack vines

Posted on: 3/3 15:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved