Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Olds Pump=More Oil pressure=Leaking Rear Main
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll try to pick up a 40613 seal today and try it in a mockup block i have here.
Have u successfuly used the 40613 seal in an engine withOUT removeing or dropping down the crank for installation???

Posted on: 2007/8/5 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Yes, I have successfully installed one of the seals in an engine still in the car. It has been in 56J #2, (my gold & white one) for two years and about 15,000 miles now. The repro turned into what looked like a wet mop string a little over 15,000 after rebuild, and began leaking like a sieve. I tried unsuccessfully to install an NOS rope with the engine in the car. (Possibly because of the TH400 tranny the shaft would drop down very little with the main caps loosened.) I decided there had to be a better way than remove the engine, so went looking at other crank specs.

I was also motivated by the fact that a fellow 56J owner (female) had the same experience a couple of years earlier after a "Packard expert" in Tuscon, AZ worked on her engine. Each time she took it back and the guy "fixed" it again, it would begin leaking in a few hundred miles. I don't what ever happened to her; she may have just given up and parked or sold the car.

At the meet in SB this year, a fellow 56J owner told me his mech had installed the neoprene seal in his car after giving up on being able to (properly) install a rope seal in his. Same story, it would start leaking in a few hundred miles. He had driven his 56J to the meet from PA and it still was not leaking, so he was very happy.

The rope seal is difficult enough to install properly (at least for some people) with the on an engine stand, i.e. upon rebuild. The neoprene seal provides an alternative for an engine that is still in the car.

The seal fits best if you flatten the ends by grinding, in total removing maybe .010" of end material, then use non hardening Permatex on the ends. That gives it a little tighter fit on the crank.

As for the problem with my current Olds pump and neoprene combo with 56J #1, there's only one way to find out; I am on my way out to the garage, and will let you know what I find.

Thanks Again,

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/8/5 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Just as Joe described, current asbestos-free rope seals are problematic. I just bought a 374" short block which had been raced in Maine. It has some interesting oiling system modifications which I will describe in another thread. As soon as I looked at the block and saw the inside of the bellhousing was coated in gunk, I knew I would find a bad rear main seal. Installed by someone who obviously knew a bit about engines, this rope seal had spun ninety degrees and was pouring oil out the back.

thnx, jv.

Posted on: 2007/8/5 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JV. check the rear main bearing cap to see if oil gallery is drilled out to 9/16. Also the verticle rear main feed oil gallery starting at rear main cap to rite oil gallery (about 5 inches long ) is probably 9/16 diameter too. The main bearing feed gallery's are probably drilled out bigger.

What kind of oil seals are used on the valves???

Posted on: 2007/8/6 7:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
has anyone chequed the oil gallery diameters???

Posted on: 2007/8/19 21:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
sorry to bring up such an old subject, but i would like to see pics of the install of this newer neoprene rear main seal.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2011/9/1 22:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved