Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 164

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 52 »

Re: Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Tom (Packin31) wrote:
Mal,

Wow wish I can be that descriptive.

Tom,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know about descriptive, just trying to liven up what could be a very boring storyline, after all how interesting is the dis-assembly of a 66 year old car. Alright - I'll withdraw that last statement as we're among Packard people here!

Thanks again - and I'm keeping an eye on your blog for the '31 as it progresses.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 13:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Mal,

It be pretty cold here now so my blog probably won't be updated until spring. Well unless we get Indian summer weather here then I can sneak in and get some more sanding and priming done. See I don't want to do anymore sanding and break through to bare metal. Been there with the body being bare all last winter.

FYI,
Don't us WD40 on bare body metal. It is no fun getting that stuff off?..

Posted on: 2007/12/6 16:20
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 10th December

Quiet day for working on the '41 - there was none! Went and gave blood this morning and then to the workshop. Sat down with Wade and figured out most of what was needed to be bought to rebuild the front end, including:

Front end kit
Front springs
Front wheel bearing kit
Rear wheel bearing kit
Tune Up Kit

Then went home and began ordering them from Kanter or Max Merritt, along with the following:

Various front suspension rubber bumpers
Oil Filter cartridge

At this point Wade rang me and advised about the front suspension bumpers, which I'd already remembered, and added a few more items from a closer inspection of the '41 after I left today, being:

Spark plugs
Fan Belt
Radiator hoses

I know - some of these pieces are probably available cheaper elsewhere or even locally but I'm like a kid in a candy store and can't resist it!

Tomorrow will get dirty again cleaning the front end parts that came out together with the front part of the frame and anything else I can access.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 1:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Mal,

Glad to hear you are able to donate blood. I can't for another 8 months. I was out of the country back in September so they won't expect a donation from me for a year.

Are you retired? Wish I were that way I can spend more time on old Bessie

Posted on: 2007/12/10 6:40
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tom,

Yes, I'm retired, now 61. Been that way for almost 6 months and really lapping it up, it's great! In fact getting my first Packard, the '38, was a significant factor in determining that I would retire. And when I bought the '41 on eBay, not long after, I had to retire so I could afford the car!

I give blood, actually plasma, about every fortnight other commitments permitting. Reason I give plasma, and not whole blood every 12/13 weeks, is that I am on a long term course of anti-biotics for Roseaca. So, they're happy to take plasma but not whole blood or platelets. At least it's something! Just as well they're so strict with their processes, what with some of the horror stories that have emerged about contaminated supplies.

Where did you go that they stopped you from donating, obviously a high risk country?

Posted on: 2007/12/10 15:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Mal,

Was in Seoul last December around this time and September of this year.

I can't wait for retirement and I am only 42 1/2. I am hoping for 7 more years which I will have thirty year service where I am at now and will be age 50. Well that is if we have jobs by then yet. You know how big corporations are.

You keep up the good work over there and keep us posted.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 20:05
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 11th December

Only at the workshop for a couple of hours this morning. But, on the way, stopped at the Post Office to pick-up the head gasket I'd ordered which replaces the one Wade gave me for the '38.

Just scraped and brushed the built up dirt and grime on the frame, inner panels and under the drivers side front fender. Then started to take off some of the inner fender panels, the more you sit there looking and scraping the more you think I gotta do a half decent job on this, after all it is a Packard. So the work grows. Might be like that theory/law about computer memory/speeds doubling every 2 years or whatever it is! (There's the Luddite coming through for you!)

Another thing - now going to rewire the car. Wade spent some more time yesterday looking over it. Funny that every time he does that it costs me more money, I'm starting to think he gets kickbacks from the parts suppliers! That aside, the original wiring is still in place but is bare or worn through in many places. Have put a question to Merritt's by email about the cost of a harness to suit, including for the overdrive and waiting now for their reply. Have also contacted a local harness supplier, who makes replacements using the original harness as a template. They gave a guesstimate over the phone in the range of AU$1000/1200 (USD880/1050). When I say local, he's about 500 miles away in another state. Depending on cost, I'd like to go with the local bloke to support his support of old cars in Australia. He has done a number of Packards before as well as many other cars and I understand his work is very good. Is also able to include wiring for turn indicators too.

Posted on: 2007/12/11 0:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Mal, The last local harness for my 38 120 was only about $A300, 2 years ago. I shall dig up the info and get back to you. You do not get the minor harness to the rear, which is very easy to fabricate, but all of the other harness is very well made and well labelled. It was made for the Packard body but fitted the Australian body ok. I shall get back to you shortly( when I go to Jacobs Street tomorrow) Best regards Peter

Posted on: 2007/12/11 7:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 12th December.

Thought I'd be smart and started this in Notepad, and saved it along the way, but when I copied it over only about a third was there! The last third, so - Not Happy again!

Anyway, started work today by removing the inner fender panels (2) from each side of the car. But, after Wade went round the corner and saw his brake guy to be told if we got the wheel and master cylinders to him today or tomorrow they would be done by Christmas, my cleaning of frame and panels was ditched unceremoniously.

So while I started to take apart the front brake assemblies Wade rounded up the Brake Drum Puller - this is owned by Harvey another member of the Packard club, he has a '37 Super 8, 7 seater. Then, after the front brakes were disassembled, we tackled the rear drums and while the passenger side was a bit reluctant the drivers side almost literally fell off after a couple of love taps. Wade also said both axle nuts were almost loose when he removed them!

After the rear brakes were disassembled Wade took the wheel and master cylinders around to his brake guy, only to return shortly thereafter still holding the wheel cylinders. The brake guy told him he wanted them apart! So we removed the hose and bleed fittings and Wade using his air gun blew a piston out of each wheel cylinder enabling the other pistons in each cylinder, which were stuck, to be removed fairly easily using a minimum of brute force. The wheel cylinders were returned, sans extraneous fittings, and ready for rebuild including stainless steel sleeves in ALL cylinders!

While cleaning the frame I realised that while the fuel pump was so accessible a rebuild would go down well. So I've ordered a rebuild kit for that together with some some valve cover gaskets and flexible brake hoses. Wade also advises using silicon brake fluid, which he has used in his '37 120 for the past 6 years.

A question - I'll also post this in the Pre-war forum - There is a bracket on the inside of the frame on the drivers side of the car and I don't know what it's for! Also the bracket which holds the throttle linkage of the drivers side of the cylinder head has extra fittings and I also dont know what that is for. I suspect they may have something to do with an "Electromatic Clutch", if that is the right term, but there isn't one on the car. Please see pic's 3, 4, 5 & 6 in the attached weblink. Your valued advise is sought as to what these are?

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WadesWorkshop2

in anticipation.

Posted on: 2007/12/12 3:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 13th December

Spent most of the day under the front end and fenders scraping and wire brushing off the accumulated muck and grime. Looked like a coal miner at the end of the day.

Also cleaned up the brake drums and shoes and Wade took them around the corner to his brake guy. Returned with one front and one rear drum, apparently will not machine them as he's had bad experiences in the past with these types of drums. He did keep the other front and rear drums to check fit whatever for the shoes when they are relined.

While scraping and cleaning had a phonecall from forum member "Peter Packard" about my search for a maker of wiring harnesses. He gave me a name and number of a guy who did a harness which cost AU$380.00 for his TJR bodied '38 about5 years ago. When I got home I rang the bloke, but the number diverted to the guy I'd called a couple of days ago as they'd bought the business. Another little snippet - Wade tells me he contemplated buying that business when it was on the market some years ago after he'd retired!

And a further snippet - Wades workshop is part of a large workshop with 2 other guys. One of whom had a Ferrari arrive today for treatment, is that the term you'd use? I know that Rolls Royce owners instead of saying break-down say "failed to proceed". Anyway it's complicated brake system was on the fritz because an electric motor used to power part of it had failed resulting in yours truly helping to push it round the workshop! Oh the shame of it all.

Update again Monday - Family matters to attend to tomorrow and the workshop is shut on the weekend.

PS - Bought a first edition of the Kimes Packard book off eBay today for USD75.00, it is numbered and has a first edition certificate. Is that a good price? It was in the antique section of eBay and nobody else bid!

Posted on: 2007/12/13 2:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 52 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved