Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

humanpotatohybrid, Carl Roser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 52 »

Re: Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mal, that sounds like a pretty good price on that book. But with those types of books the later editions are always the best to have for informational purposes as they will contain updated and corrected information. But if you are buying it as a collectable, then the first editions are the best to have.

This is the one I have which is a 2005 edition.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2007/12/13 12:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Mal and Big Kev, I have a 2002 edition of that book, it would be interesting to see the differences. I ordered a wiring loom for a 38 -120 today. It was $A380 plus $A20 freight. I got them to include indicator wiring into the main loom which was another $A20. Have you talked to Noel yet about his loom? I am not very good in the chat room as I have to look at the keyboard to type, and there are always half a dozen additions when I finally look up, so I end up chatting at cross-purposes. Russell Kerr is coming from Melbourne tomorrow to pick up his 56 Patrician. I also hope to do a bit more to the 37 Super Coupe over Christmas. Best regards Peter

Posted on: 2007/12/14 1:12
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

You went well in the chat room yesterday! I admit it's a bit confusing with more than one in there, but you can open a private chat while there enabling you to converse one on one. You do this with a specific user already in the chat room. Heather Moss and I did that the other day when there were 6 in at once. Although it saved some confusion it did also serve a purpose. So get in there, the more practice the better, and this from a one fingered typist who has to look at just about every key, and makes lots of typing errors - just ask Eric!

I was in the chat room earlier with BigKev and he pointed me to a couple of US harness makers websites, prices US$875 & US$975. Merritts had quoted US$930 earlier.

You would have seen Noel's email I flicked to you but I haven't heard back from him yet. I did speak to Wade and he appears to endorse your recommendation as they made his 34 harness. The Aussie manufacturer seems very price attractive going by your harness price and allowing for O/D and any other minor differences between 38 and 41 I'd certainly like to support the Aussie business. Will let you know more as this develops.

What were you doing with the 56 Patrician?

Posted on: 2007/12/14 1:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Mal, Russell just called me and he is in Gundagai for the night. He says that he will be in Canberra at around mid-day tomorrow. I did up a 56 twin Ultramatic for Russell. He had it overhauled three times (at a few thousand dollars a pop) in the last three years and it has lasted about 600 miles each time. The trans had been well and truly cooked, it was full of sand ( thanks to a kind overhauler who made the case look new but didn't clean the case out properly). The sand absolutely killed the trans but it had bigger problems from the start as there were valve body assembly problems, stripped pump threads etc. It was always on the front pump, never changed into direct drive and cooked everything, (three times would you believe) The last overhaul was done in Melbourne and they sent the converter to Sydney (Duh?).
I have finally sorted it out the trans and it changes from front to rear pump fine. Doesn't slip in direct drive and doesn't leak oil. I am sure that the trans will outlast Russell this time. I am charging him for the two new pumps and some gaskets but he is a terrific mate so I owe it to him. Peter Fitch from Ultramatic Dynamics has been a great help and I am getting pretty good at remove/replace of the box (Russell's didn't have PB so it was much easier). I still have a 55 box to do for Gary Roger's mate and a 56 for John Payne, now that he has sold his 47 Clipper. Peter

Posted on: 2007/12/14 5:08

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

You should post that in the V8 Forum.

Posted on: 2007/12/14 5:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I dunno Mal, The V8 boys appear pretty savvy about their twin-ultra's so rather than throw out an old herring, I would rather hold my water and contribute at an appropriate time. We had quite a long thread on the Twin-ultra slippage in the past and it can certainly generate a lot of responses. I am amazed at the number of ways that items are able to be interpreted. There is a lot of expertise out there. Peter

Posted on: 2007/12/14 5:57

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 16th December

Only spent the morning under the drivers side front fender scraping, rubbing and wire brushing accumulated dirt, etc off. This should be the last of such in these areas although still have to do inner panels for both sides, and as these are removed they'll be cleaned up on the bench - my back says thankyou!

Will clean up the brake backing plates on Wednesday as the cylinders and shoes will be back by the end of the week.

Discussed harness situation with Wade - most likely to go with Aussie supplier.

No action tomorrow - family affairs.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 4:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 18th December

Although no work on the coupe, a package did arrive from Max Merritt, containing the following:

For the front end,
- Coil Spring Insulator Pads
- Upper Rebound Rubbers
- Lower Rebound Rubbers
- Brake Hoses

Other parts,
- Tune up kit
- Oil Filter
- Spark Plugs
- Fan Belt
- Radiator Hose Set
- Fuel Pump Kit
- Valve Cover Gasket Set
- Parking Light Base Rubbers

So a little progress on the parts front but more are still on order and yet to arrive.

Tomorrow - Change of plans - Christmas shopping has been elevated to the head of the queue. So no Packard work.

Posted on: 2007/12/18 1:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 20th December

Spent the morning only doing more scraping and cleaning. Afternoon was for more Christmas shopping but now that's all done. Might be a record for us, because usually it's a mad panic on Christmas eve for the last of the presents!

This time front backing plates, front inner fender panels and front suspension locating arms. A dirty job, not very exciting but necessary for the coupes undercar health and appearance.

Wade tells me, that all the brake master & wheels cylinders, rebonded shoes, reground front drums(the old brake guy put them on the machine apparently without any dramas) are back and ready for assembly.

So tomorrow, after the Air-con guy does his thing and #1 Son moves his furniture from my folks house it'll be back to the workshop.

Posted on: 2007/12/20 0:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 21st December

After the Air-con guy came and did his thing this morning it was off to the workshop for a couple of hours. As I'm going to paint the undercarriage and the front inner fender panels with POR15 - Black, did the Metal Clean preparation step on:
Front backing plates
Front lower control arms
Front & Rear brake drums- outside only
Left and Right front inner fender panels

Before using the Metal Clean on the inner fender panels Wade and I drilled out all the rivets holding the perished rubber splash skirts. Holes were then drilled for 10/32 screws to be used to hold the rubber skirting when it's replaced.

Also saw the re-sleeved master and brake cylinders, the rebonded brake shoes and the machined front drums total cost AU$450(US$380) that Wade had picked up from his brake guy yesterday afternoon. They look good.

Earlier in the morning while the air-con work was going on I rang Paul at Vintage Wiring Harness and verbally ordered a new harness for the '41. Before he can start work however he requires the old harness as a pattern. So after Christmas Wade and I will remove the old harness and tag it and ship it to them. I've discussed my requirements with Paul, which includes wiring for turn indicators and for the overdrive. Paul told me he has a pattern for a '41 110 and he's done one for an overdrive '46, so there may be a basis to work with anyway. Price seems reasonable, the '41 110 was AU$785(US$665) which compares more than favourably to the prices from US makers. Plus local shipping will be a lot cheaper, even allowing for shipping the old harness initially, against air freight from the US to Australia.

We'll now go into a short hibernation until after Christmas as the workshop won't be open until Thursday 27th December.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Posted on: 2007/12/20 23:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 52 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved