Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Wanted to Buy Front Grill 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe (Sell my 51 Grill)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
As pointed out, the front grill on my Packard must have come off of a 1951 (maybe a 52) Clipper because it has the bullet lights vice the round ones and the chrome does not wrap around the sides. I didn't notice this when I bought the car and should have done my homework. So - can anyone out there help find me a 54 Clipper Deluxe Grill and does anyone want to buy my grill or perhaps trade? If so - let me know. Thanks Frank

Attach file:

jpg  (109.19 KB)
1341_4a6a044d79a92.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2009/7/24 14:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Wanted to Buy Front Grill 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe (Sell my 51 Grill)
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
frank, i will check to see if i have a spare 53/54 center left. if so we may be able to do some trading. will let you know asap

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks - Any help is appreciated. I bought a new bumper compatable with years 51 - 54 (that I have to pick up in a week or so) but now my bumper guards won't match up to the 54 Grille (I hope to find) because they should have the cross bar that connects to each other and the grille (so I'm told). Rather than getting my bumper guards restored I figure I'll get the grille correct first and then put on the new bumper and then the new correct bumper guards should tie back into the grille. I don't mind driving to swap out or buy (if it takes less than a full day or so).

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
only found part of the 54 peices this last weekend. will keep you updated

Posted on: 2009/7/29 18:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Frank, personally I think the '51 grille is most attractive. I don't know how authentic you want the car to be, but you might think twice about replacing it. I really like the look. What did you do about the mis-matched tail lights? Very attractive car.

Edit: It was another '54 Clipper that had the mis-matched tail lights.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 13:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Frank, personally I think the '51 grille is most attractive.

Think this is a 52 grill. The 51 doesn't have the crest in the middle.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 15:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
It is indeed a '52 (with the crest), but where are the "teeth"? I'm in agreement that the '52 version was the most attractive grill (it got too cluttered in the later models) and it looked nice with the smooth hood (no lettering ala '51) as well as the '52 "bottle openers" on the rear fenders w/o the "too much chrome" spear ('53). I also am partial to the long, lower set '53 trunk handle, the sleek, stylized '53 cormorant hood ornament and the '54 "finned" and Frenched headlight benzels. I'm making the "improvements" to my '52 Mayfair as well as new paint as we speak......just because I can! My car is never judged and I wanted the best trim pieces of the era. She will longer be a 100% pure 1952 trim wise, but I'll be happy! Unless you plan on going to judged Packard shows, go with what you like. Other modifications I made were radial wide whites and seat belts....for safety.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 18:47
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
It is indeed a '52 (with the crest), but where are the "teeth"?

As far as I know the junior cars did not have the teeth. Only the senior (300 and 400's) had teeth.

I too think the 51 front end with the teeth is the best looking of all the 51 through 54 cars. I even like the lettering on the hood. Wonder why they did away with them after 1951?

Posted on: 2009/7/31 19:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Quote:
As far as I know the junior cars did not have the teeth. Only the senior (300 and 400's) had teeth.

AND the Mayfair (250 hardtops and convertibles)

Posted on: 2009/7/31 19:26
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Appreciate all of the thoughts on this subject. I really like my (52) grill. It has a more simple look and shows more of he cars paint than chrome on the sides. With that said, when I look at the car it reminds me of how I may have been snookered. If I were to sell the car down the road, I would definitely tell the buyer that the car has a 52 grille so they would not be surprised later. I found a 54 grille and the 54 bumper guards I may be picking up tomorrow, they are from a texas salvage yard. Between the grille and bumper guards it will set me back $400. My sense is that if I don't get the grille now, it is gonna cost me more in the future. I could always fix the new grille up and resell it. If I don't get this grille, the value of the car is supposed to be less because it wouldn't be 100% authentic. That's the thinking behind it and I certainly respect the viewpoint of mixing/matching as long as it is still Packard to the extent possible. I may change my mind and not buy the 54 grille between today and tomorrow (I call it being flexible).

Attach file:

jpg  (182.46 KB)
1341_4a73928bc36c6.jpg 1280X1033 px

jpg  (150.93 KB)
1341_4a73929f36bd6.jpg 1280X1033 px

Posted on: 2009/7/31 19:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved