Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Battery Cut-off switches
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I am not a fan of the "green knob" cut-off switch especially in 6 volt applications as they don't seem to carry the amperage of a 6 volt well. so I am looking for a better solution. I do use them on my 12 volt motor home and cars. I had a wire short under the dash of my Packard last summer at a show and besides the embarrassment of a smoke filled interior I had a real fear of fire. I didn't have a battery cut-off and no wrench handy to remove a battery terminal. Luckily I found the wire and jerked it free. I like the Cole-Hersee switches but I have a strong aversion to drilling holes in the firewall or floor board. Does anyone have a solution to installing a switch without drilling holes?

Posted on: 2009/7/27 8:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery Cut-off switches
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with your comments about the "green" battery-mounted switch for 6-volt systems, marginal at the very best. And I also see that many folks install it on the "hot" battery terminal where it is sometimes just thousands of an inch from the battery hold-down (which of course is part of the ground!!). VERY DANGEROUS.

Many people install the Cole-Hersee switch right at the starter motor by making a small bracket. Usually makes a very nice, neat installation on models before the V8 era.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 8:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Does anyone have a solution to installing a switch without drilling holes?

Hirsch sells this in 6 & 12 v & might be an option. At least the holes would be smaller and with use of a short length of bat cable, components probably could be hidden or disguised.http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BB-01

Posted on: 2009/7/27 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I too was thinking about a battery cut-off switch for my '37 115C and '47 Clipper. The Clipper is easy enough because the battery is in the engine compartment. Switching the ground side of the battery is relatively simple. The 115C has its battery under the seat on the driver's side. I have seen, on these under seat battery cars, where a cut-off switch has been mounted to the frame across from the starter and another short battery cable connected from the switch to the starter. I am a bit uneasy having the switch on the negative "hot" cable, but if installed in a workmanlike manner and securely fastened should not be a problem. The advantage to this set-up is having the switch in the engine compartment for easy access. Does anyone see a problem with doing the job this way? Installing a cut-off switch near the under seat battery to switch the positive ground cable involves more inconvenience and complexity than the one in the engine compartment.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 10:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Installing the switch as you propose would be OK in my opinion as long as the cable run from the battery was in good condition and well protected & supported in any areas where it could be damaged. As O_D mentioned above, some do mount the switch at the starter in the hot lead. I think the main issue of placing the switch in the hot lead arises when the cut off switch is mounted at the battery or other points and no provision is made to ensure there is no possible way vibration or carelessness wouldn't allow a short to the closest metal object.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 10:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 34 Eight also has the battery under the seat. I did an installation like almost everyone does on cars with that arrangement, put the switch on either the seat riser or on the floor board right snug up against the seat riser, and of course interupt the ground side.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 10:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Obviously, interrupting the ground side (regardless of polarity) is the best and safest choice. I believe a well thought out and executed cut-off switch on the hot side of the battery is acceptable, but not the best way to do it. I will rethink my 115C cut-off switch solution. clipper47, I would be interested in your solution. Thanks, I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 18:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Position "green knob" toward the center of the battery instead of the edge/side of the battery. Cable length mite prohibit that possibility tho.

On the V8's i assume "-" post of battery is toward FRONT of car. Mine is. If negative mounted green knob comes loose and falls off it is close to PS pump and fan.

My green knob came loose one time in 11 years. Didn't fall off but if it had it would fallen into or near PS pump or maybe even fan.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 20:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Look at this pic of battery, + cable and hold-down:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/newbb/23_49e4fe69281d0.jpg

The + cable needs to be turned 180 degrees to clear the hold down.

Knit picking tho. If anything hit the battery terminal, especialy sheet metal, the amps would most likely blow a big hole in it short order.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 21:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Clipper47 writes "I didn't have a battery cut-off and no wrench handy to remove a battery terminal. Luckily I found the wire and jerked it free. "

TO20 ferguson has a small factory tool box under hood. I carry a small tool roll about the size of a 3/4 qt beer can in the cushman fork shroud. 2 or three basic tools in windshield bag of Indian. a few basic tools under hood of both Trucks.

What i have not come up with yet is a good way to keep just 4 or 5 basic tools under hte hood of the Packard.

Of course such tools will most likely be subject to rust so some of the lesser quality brands would be carried there.

Might be a good ongoing blog for Packards only: How to carry a few basic tools under the hood.

Idle adjusting wrench.
battery cable wrench/pliers.
screw driver.
.018 feeler gauge.
fuses if applicable.
anything that is underhood specific that is quick access for quick repair.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 6:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved