Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1957 Packard 4 door
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hey 58L, there seems to be something wrong with this thread, I can't read all of the posts. Anyway, the number on my '57 is 57L3209 on the body, 57LY1782 on the firewall. Why the difference and what do they mean? Also, there is a tag on the radiator that reads 1543643 MC SA 7. Thanks!

Scott

Posted on: 2009/10/23 5:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 1957 Packard 4 door
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Scottie

The serial no. 57L-3209 would make it the 2609th '57 Clipper built of the overall total of 4809 units. This would include Country Sedans as well, built about two/thirds of the way through the production run. This number is equivalent to the VIN on cars now, what would be used to title and/or register the car.

Of the body no. 57LY-1782: 57L designates Packard Clipper, Y identifies it as a Y body sedan, the 4" extension of the base W body used on most Studebakers except President Classic, to be mounted on the 120.5" wheelbase chassis. The 1782 tells us it was the 1782th Y body built for use as part of the Clipper production run.

Practice at South Bend was to build the bodies needed, store some in body banks in primer. When orders or just stock production demanded one, go get the next one available to send down the line. Therefore, there is no correlation between the serial and body numbers. This method can turn out low serial number cars with much later body no. tags. The body no. is only significant to the manufacturer, not used for registration purposes.

Of the number on the radiator tag, I don't know if it is a manufacture I.D. or the Studebaker part no. Someone on the SDC Forum under the Technical column could answer that better.

Hope you can find it a good home.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/10/23 12:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved