Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 113

Ozstatman, 37Blanche, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1957 Packard 4 door
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

beej8508
See User information
error in posting

Posted on: 2009/7/30 21:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1957 Packard 4 door
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I like these cars and own one and the rear quarter passenger side part number 1323419 is still available from SASCO for $236.80 plus shipping but the shipping by Greyhound is a best deal. Complete new reproduction interior is available from Phantom interiors in Ohio. The main thing is that you like the car. I would prefer if it had original engine but thats just a personal opinion.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 0:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've never owned any of the Packardbakers, but have a passing interest in them due to their use of leftover Packard parts from previous Series that were built in Detroit and their attempt to resemble those Packards. (Check out the Model Info pages on the 57th Series for additional details.)

Now, consider the following "High Retail" prices as published by NADA (as of this writing):

$17,000 - 1957 Clipper Town Sedan

$22,600 - 1956 Clipper Custom sedan

$18,500 - 1956 Executive sedan

$24,400 - 1956 Patrician sedan

I can't say for sure about other price guides, but know that NADA uses reports of actual sales that were completed in the real world to arrive at their figures.

That might explain the lower figure for the Exec sedan, which actually replaced the CC sedan in the last few months of 1956 production. Since the '57 Clipper didn't sell all that well back in the day, it should come as no surprise that they bring 25% less than their 1956 counterpart(s) these days. Keep in mind, however, that such figures are merely guidelines.

IMHO, with ocassional exceptions, I feel a well-preserved or well-restored car in bone-stock condition will be worth more than a customized one. Sounds like this '57 has a relatively solid body, but with a MOPAR powerteam, the field of interested buyers becomes narrower, which may have a significant impact on final value.

The question then becomes one of whether the car worth is $850 to you, now, in its present state and what it will be worth after whatever $$$ you put into it to make it into what you want.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 8:41
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

beej8508
See User information
error in posting

Posted on: 2009/8/15 13:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And a very nice start. If mine, would start looking for the proper drivetrain to maybe someday put in while enjoying & working on it in the meantime. A Stude 289-trans combo shouldn't be that hard to come by relatively speaking, & with (aside from a few trim pieces) so much shared & the whole parts situation better, should be a comparatively easy project to get in very decent condition.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day beej8508,
for including your '57 in the Owner Registry!

Posted on: 2009/8/15 15:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Congratulations on buying such a nice solid car so inexpensively. Makes this easterner jealous, all our supply has been rust ruined. With the 318, should be a nice driver for now, until you can locate a 289 for it.

I'd suggest you keep an eye out for '61-'63 Cruiser model Studebakers that would be runable but parts car for a replacement engine, good earlier engines find there way into Golden Hawks.

There is considerable interest in these with the Studebaker folks as well (the author of whom is one). Sign onto Studebaker Driver's Club Forum for Studebaker-specific posting and show those folks your fortunate good new project, many are glad to help.

By the Way, what is the 57L-#### and the body no.? (found on that tag on the upper cowl, right side, under the hood.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/15 16:15
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

beej8508
See User information
error in posting

Posted on: 2009/8/15 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Bryan

Thanks, Series Nos. start at 57L-1001 run to 57L-5809, making you car 946th car built. The body number will reflect whatever number Clipper body was next in line.

The build order for those is available from the Studebaker National Museum for $40.00, check their website. It's worth having it, gives all the pertinent build information pertaining to your car, such as build date, optional equipment installed, even original delivery location on some if the car was ordered.

So, good luck with that Clipper, hope you are able to find a good running 289 engine and Flightomatic to install. It will be a nice driving car with that, be it a two or four barrel. As far as the supercharger, they're expensive to acquire, rebuild and fussy to maintain. Unless you only intend to show the car and are after trophys, forget about the supercharger, just restore it to drive and enjoy.

Let us know periodically how the restoration progresses.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/16 8:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved