Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Did the public think of Imperial as Packard's replacement?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Loyd Smith wrote:
Chuckltd, Funny you should say so. After two years of semi-retirement, during which time I drove the '55 Pat and rented one of nearly everything that comes close to being a "full-sized" car - turned out that I wasn't as retired as I'd thought I was going to be. Recently purchased a well-maintained, well-cared for 89 Cartier TC for general road use in lieu of a newer version and to give the Pat a rest. Economy is about the same as the 2009 Signature TC that I had for five days a few weeks ago but the "Panther" platform is so far above anything built, since, in comfort, silence, roominess and overall handling as to be astonishing. Took great pains to obtain one with as few computer-contolled electronic gee-gaws as I could find (non-digital dash, no rear air suspension) and have found that nearly anyone can work on them and that they're just the right age for parts to be readily available and comparatively cheap. AND - the ride is ALMOST equal to the '55 Pat. Personally, I find the 302 a trifle anaemic power-wise but, hey, you can't have everything.

While others may have had great service from the lincoln versions, most I've known had to resort to destroying the cars to escape the money pits. Here's the story of mine. I had a 1983 Mark VI Bill Blass 2dr that, when it ran, rode great and was a good solid car. The thing ate fuel pumps, sensors, plug wires, unlisted firing order and demon-possessed electronics. Took 3 days to change a heater core, burnt out ACT and crank sensors every year and fuel pumps every 9 months or so. Even with a rebuilt engine it could barely average 51MPH driving from PA to Atlanta. It got worse gas mileage than anything from the 70's with less than a big-block. Averaged 10-11 MPG with 14 highway. Fuel guage only worked at nearly full or nearly empty. Could not get the seats into any comfortable position. The firing order was unlisted in any manuals or on the manifold. Had to spend hours at champion ford looking through old invoices to see if someone had written it down. Even Ford mechanics couldn't get it to run right. I tried to give this car away and no one took it so I junked it. I'll possibly buy a crown vic again but no more Lincolns after 79 EVER again.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 1:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ChuckLTD. Did u buy the Bill Blaas lincoln new or used????
How old was it when u bought it and how many miles were on it????

Posted on: 2009/8/7 8:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
To be fair, 1983 was a pretty dark period for all the domestics, they were still trying to get engines that dated back to the 1950s to make emissions with bolt-on gizmos, then the new religion of fuel economy happened, they were trying to hit all of these targets using a carburetor, and the results were about what you experienced.
10 years later there were new engines, electronic fuel injection and successful lock-up torque converter OD trasmissions (Ford bought a twin-Ultramatic from a local collector to study in the late 70s) and everyting got better in a hurry. I have always found Lincolns expensive to keep 100% functional after a certain point, age or miles. We had a few in the fleet I maintained in the 90s and early 2000s, yes, they could sensor/R&R/little motor servo you often. We had a Ford E-150 panel van at the same time (same engine) and that thing was great, we beat the hell out of it, used it all week long, moved ourselves with it on the weekends and it gave great service, relatively few repairs.
The Cadillacs we had from that era were by and large pretty reliable, a '92 Seville that gave few troubles and a 91-'2 ish Brogham, the last of the Texas Cadillacs with a small block Chebby, that gave very little trouble. The Allante was a dissapointment, it was just OK, replacing the battery was a chore.

[quote] While others may have had great service from the Lincoln versions, most I've known had to resort to destroying the cars to escape the money pits. Here's the story of mine. I had a 1983 Mark VI Bill Blass 2dr that, when it ran, rode great and was a good solid car. The thing ate fuel pumps, sensors, plug wires, unlisted firing order and demon-possessed electronics. Took 3 days to change a heater core, burnt out ACT and crank sensors every year and fuel pumps every 9 months or so. Even with a rebuilt engine it could barely average 51MPH driving from PA to Atlanta. It got worse gas mileage than anything from the 70's with less than a big-block. Averaged 10-11 MPG with 14 highway. Fuel guage only worked at nearly full or nearly empty. Could not get the seats into any comfortable position. The firing order was unlisted in any manuals or on the manifold. Had to spend hours at champion ford looking through old invoices to see if someone had written it down. Even Ford mechanics couldn't get it to run right. I tried to give this car away and no one took it so I junked it. I'll possibly buy a crown vic again but no more Lincolns after 79 EVER again.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
ChuckLTD. Did u buy the Bill Blaas lincoln new or used????
How old was it when u bought it and how many miles were on it????

Looking back, most of the troubles with it were beacause of one-year-only parts and unavailability of information. 1984 wasn't much better. I bought it used at a local car lot. It had one prior owner who was some sort of state legislator. It still had the dealer invoice which said the car was almost $30,000 when new. Mileage could not be determined since the tens section of odometer turned every tenth of a mile. In other words, 1 mile appeared to be 100 miles! The car was 15 years old at that time. If I find a pic of it I'll share it. Supposedly the car was fine until it's first scheduled tuneup after warranty ran out. Doing a tuneup on this car was nearly impossible since all reference material available was wrong and all parts bought for it did not match the car. The car was last seen a year ago at EZ pull junkyard in New Ringold PA.
I've heard of later crown's and others running for a couple hundred K miles but after this one, No more.
Afterthought: It did have a great ride when it moved and was easier to push than my 76 Caddy was!

Posted on: 2009/8/7 23:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"The firing order was unlisted ... Even Ford mechanics couldn't get it to run right."

What is so special about an 83 Bill Blass Lincoln engine???? Most likely the fireing order is the same as any other lincoln V8 prior or maybe after 1983.

Was the fuel pump on the side of the engine or first years for in the tank?????

I'm not familiar with 83 lincolns. At this point i can only guess that your problem was not the car or the parts but rather the Dealer.

Or let me put it another way. I sincerely doubt that there was anything special about the Bill Blass edition other than a little trim here and there. It was just a Lincoln. The problem is that the dealer just didn't want to work on a 15 year old car.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 6:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
This car had a one year only cam. The correct firing order had the wires split straight down the middle. Whenever I'd try buying parts for it, the stores always gave me 1978 LTD or 79 Tbird parts. I've owned both of those cars so I know what they used. The 83 required a wierd 3-prong rotor and used monolithic timing. Firing order was 1-3-4-8-6-5-7-2. The fuel "pumps" I should say, were in the tank and on the frame. Had a high pressure pump on frame and a low pressure one in the tank. Some 84's also used that setup. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Lincolns in general. In fact I love the Mark IV and V, but the VI was a POS. The technology needlessly added to the car was overkill.

Attach file:

jpg  (186.17 KB)
1470_4a7d78911c344.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/8/8 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is that tail fin setting in the foreground???? 1960 Cadillac????? Finally got a REAL car eh???

Posted on: 2009/8/8 13:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roger L. Hosmer
See User information
The tail fin looks like the one from a 1957 Ford.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 14:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
That pic was from 2 years ago at my house in Georgia. The fin in the lower corner was on a 60 or 61 Hawk. Every car my family is owns is between 1978 and 1941.

Attach file:

jpg  (234.12 KB)
1470_4a7dee5cc90ac.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (125.01 KB)
1470_4a7dee7e88143.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/8/8 16:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved