Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Solid State Ignition
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I finished the conversion on the Porsche and found out a few things.

The Ford TFI will work with the Porsche distributor. I used one off a Probe that had the module mounted on a heat sink on the rad support. The cast aluminum heat sink mounts in place of the original module and looks factory. I used Turbopackman's instructions and cut down the original Ford wiring. The coil wire was wrapped with tin foil so I left it on and grounded it. Assuming it was for suppressing electronic interference.

A spare module off a Hall effect distributor works just as well even though it has extra connections. I just ignored them.

The Porsche coil barely worked. Not sure if it was coil failure or just not compatible with the Ford module. I tried a universal aftermarket coil, a Mercedes electronic ignition coil, a Japanese coil off a Chrysler minivan with Mitsubishi engine, and Ford coil made for TFI. The Ford coil was by far the best. It threw a spark well over an inch long.

With the Ford coil and ignition I opened up the spark gap to .035" which is twice the factory recommendation (.55MM). The engine starts instantly if you barely touch the key. Have not driven it on the road yet except for a brief 1/2 mile test but it ran fine then too.

I plan to reduce the plug gap to .030 or .028 because the distributor cap is very small with not much room between the plug wires. I'm afraid of misfires or crossfires.

So, the Ford ignition works with points and puts out a spark that compares with any late model electronic ignition. Your stock coil may or may not work with it. The stock Ford coil works great.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 18:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

RussBees
See User information
Owen:

I would like a copy of your article on the conversion kit for the 1933 Packard distributor. RussBees@msn.com

Posted on: 2010/12/12 14:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Daniel Shanahan
See User information
Hello,

I'm in the process of finishing a rebuild of our 33 Packard Super 8 and could use some help with the ignition. What is an Owens conversion? Is there anything new since the last (2009) posts on this subject? Thank you in advance for your help. Could I pay you to send a copy of your article? Daniel

Posted on: 2011/1/2 0:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Daniel,

Sorry can't help with your request but see it's your first posts, even though you been a PackardInfo member for some time, and just wanted to say to you and your '33 Packard.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 1:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved