Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 118

kevinpackard, William Grosz, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Re: Dealer List
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BH wrote:......BTW, as the Packard Owner Registry grows, I noticed that page taking a bit longer to load. That could become an issue as Mal keeps up his good work and the count grows into the thousands.
Brian,

An optimistic and futuristic view, good to see. Now if only those thousands out there will add their Packards to the Packard Owners's Registry and make it a reality! And when Kev adds the map feature to the Registry how good will that be? Just kidding.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was thinking of adding a "Member Map" that would show you a map of the world with Pins were every Packard Info Member lives based upon his "Location" field from the User Profile.

But that can wait till after the holidays. I was up till about 4am last night(this morning) weeding my way through the Google Maps API. So I am a bit cross-eyed now.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Interesting. If I open it in Safari it loads in about 2 seconds on my broadband connection. On the same connection under FireFox in takes about 10 seconds. I am sure IE is even worse.

There's a way to speed up the connection of Firefox, which entails "tweaking" the settings a little. Basically, you go into a blank address bar and type in about:config
This lets you adjust all kinds of things.
Try this:

1. Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit Enter.
(Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.)

2. Alter the entries as follows:
Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 10.

This means it will make 10 requests at once.

3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0";.(Zero)

This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages faster now.
Optionally (for even faster web browsing) here are some more options for your about:config (you might have to create some of these entries by Right Click -> New- > Interger or String

network.dns.disableIPv6: set "false"
"content.notify.backoffcount": set "5"; (Five)
"plugin.expose_full_path": set "true".
"ui.submenuDelay": set "0; (zero)

More tweaks like this can be found here: Firefox tweaks

I sped mine up a little, instead of ten requests mine makes more like 100. It's a LOT zippier than it was "out of the box".

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote: I was thinking of adding a "Member Map" that would show you a map of the world with Pins were every Packard Info Member lives based upon his "Location" field from the User Profile.

But that can wait till after the holidays. I was up till about 4am last night(this morning) weeding my way through the Google Maps API. So I am a bit cross-eyed now.
Kev,

The "Member Map" is a great idea. But I've noticed not all PackardInfo members have specific locations in their User Profiles, is that a problem?
And, as usual, you've gone well beyond the call of duty to ensure the Site gets better and better.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 16:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mal,

The code would take their "Location" information and try to Geocode it. Which means convert it to a Latitude and Longitude. If that fails, then it simply would skip that user. So basically only locations that could be Geocoded would be displayed on the map. All that is needed is this:

"City, State" in the US

"City, Province, Country" for Canada, UK, OZ

or

"City, Country" for every where else.

I wouldn't want anyone putting in a street address for privacy reasons.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 16:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

Thanks for making that change to the Packard Dealers page. It now loads in reasonable time for me, without locking up my browser, on my paltry dial-up connection. I suspect the load time for the page now has more to due with the list having grown to thousands of dealers.

I believe that the static map image will be just enough bait to get folks to look deeper. While I tend to think mainly in terms of U.S. dealers, I wasn't surprised to see a lot of points in Canada on that map, but the global presence is impressive.

I like the idea of expanding the map app to the member list and vehicle registry, though without need for street address/view.

All things in due time.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 19:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Dealer List Nashville TN
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ray M
See User information
Here is a picture of the Nashville Packard store around 1940. The West End Avenue reference is the same location as referred to as Broadway in another post. That portion of Broadway had a name change.

The building is still there. I will try to get a recent picture if you want it.

http://digital.library.nashville.org/item/?CISOPTR=2259&CISOROOT=%2Fnr

Ray

Posted on: 2010/1/1 0:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ray,
to PackardInfo and for the link to the Nashville Packard dealer picture. If you could obtain a recent pic and post it here it would be most appreciated.

And if you have a Packard I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 1:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved