Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 220

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

How long?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When 6v cars were the norm & about all that was available, it was common to see those batteries replaced by 8v batteries for easier starting. Now 12v seems to be in fashion in those cars for that reason and a couple of others.

Was just on a website claiming the lightest and smallest 16v battery & will fit in a conventional mount. Apparently 16v is used by racing crowd, but how long before someone will want one in a hard starting 12v car and start asking for instructions as to what needs to be changed to make it happen.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 10:43
 Top  Print   

Re: How long?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can understand it for the racing crowd, high compressions, ignition timing advanced to the max, etc. But for simple old collector cars, it's all just a crock. My 6-volt car starts at least as fast, often faster than the 12 volt one. I think some folks relate "engine cranking speed" to starting speed - and of course it's not how fast it cranks, it's how fast it starts.

Yes, 6-volt systems need a bit more care in terms of cable size, connection cleanliness, and the like. They only became stressed (just as our current 12-volt cars are) when the electrical accessory load became much greater.

From what I read, 24, 36, or 48 volt systems are just around the corner.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" My 6-volt car starts at least as fast, often faster than the 12 volt one."

I think variations of this phrase are often used (especialy by me) BY many 6v fanciers. BUT it is misunderstood by many laymen not familiar with what we mean.

"I think some folks relate "engine cranking speed" to starting speed - and of course it's not how fast it cranks, it's how ..."

THAT phrase explains it better. Manyy people hear a 6v starter cranking a bit slower than a usual 12v system and FALSELY relates it to inherent weakness of 6v.

My guess is that as 12v is phased out over the next decade or two then, as HH56 points out, everyone will be converting to the 24, 36 etc.

I contend that THE REAL PROBLEM is AVAILABILITY of 6v components. Decades from now an availability problem of 12v components will arise as well.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 11:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I feel compelled to add that REPRODUCTION 6v replacement parts specifications MIGHT not meet OEM, NOS nor NORS 6v replacement parts. It's not like that problem has never surfaced before among repops in general.

At some point, 6v to 12v conversion becomes an individual judgement call based on a wide variety of the car owners expectation, operating environment and other cicumstances.

Bottom line, I doubt that we can change the world.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 12:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
In regards to a 6V car being "just as easy and as fast" to start as compared to a 12V converted car, I have to call bullpuckey to that. When I converted the '48 over to 12V, all you need to do is "bump" the key and it fires instantly. Before, when it was 6V, it was "crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, putt putt, whoom!". I no longer have to crank it for 30-60 seconds before it fires. It will start even easier when I put HEI on it soon.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 13:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Now I feel challenged. I'll ask JHH2392, who posts here occasionally, to verify that my 6-volt 34 Eight usually starts within a half-revolution. Often it starts so fast you can't even hear the starter motor crank.

And John car, also a 6-volt, usually starts with less than 3 seconds of cranking. And a half-dozen more around here, all 6-volt, start similarly.

Really, we're having a bit of fun here but if you 6-volt car cranked 30-60 seconds, there was something very wrong with it.

Come on JHH, speak to us.

PS: Eric, come-on now, fess-up, if your 30-60 seconds was the rule, the horse & buggy and steam cars would have lasted another 4 decades.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Didn't say it was the rule, but I know when I put a 12V battery in it with the original battery cables that sucker started with no problems. It wouldn't do that on 6V.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
My 48 is still all 6 volt. It goes slow for the first half turn of the engine, then cranks right over. Takes roughly just as long as my big block fords, just slower at first turn. I'll reserve judgement till winter.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Guys

Just got home from work, paying my taxes so Owen can collect his social security......

I have known his 34 for over 12 years and don't know what the starter sounds like. I have ridden in it and even driven it and it must start before the engine makes a complete revolution, hot or cold. I've heard other prewar Packards start the same way.

My car, (2301) when it's in tune with gas in the carb, will snort to life, (no other word for it) on about 2 revolutions, If it takes longer something is wrong. I had a bunch of BMW's and they never started as quickly as my Packard

A 6 volt Packard that doesn;t start right away is out of tune or has something else wrong with it. Make sure the battery cables are large enough (OOO and OO for the ground)_ and that the engine is grounded to the frame. Modern 6 volt batteries are wonderful.

I've gotten a lot of advice to the contrary. It never impresses me with mechanical experience of the giver

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/8/13 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Clarification

When the car does have to crank, as when it's been sitting and the gas is drained out, the starter spins it over pretty quickly. The 356 engines with the gear reduction are very deliberate

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/8/13 17:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved