Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

todd landis, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt Tach
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
A friend of mine is hopefully going to come up with a numerical LED display tachometer for my 38. Going to be a tiny display. If it works would anybody else be interested?

Posted on: 2009/9/3 11:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt Tach
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2009/9/3 14:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Have you tried one?

Posted on: 2009/9/3 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I believe that that tach would only give a true reading on a 2 stroke engine (one plug firing per rev.)

Posted on: 2009/9/3 20:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If it works off spark plug inductance, (which I think it does), then even a 4 stroke motor would work, as the a single plug only fires once per revolution. Similar to how a timing light works.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 20:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
then even a 4 stroke motor would work, as the a single plug only fires once per revolution. Similar to how a timing light works.

Kev, The distributer turns half as fast as the crank. Your timing light illuminates the timing mark on every other rev of the crank.

Also the circuit for an analog tach is very simple and can be modified or calibrated for an engine with any number of cylinders. The problem I see with the digital one is that it probably needs the 12 volts to operate at all.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 22:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Of course you are right. I was thinking spark-plug firing is irrelevant on 4 stroke vs 2 stroke as it's one firing her entire cycle. But of course on a 4 stoke the crank is making 2 revolutions to ever 1 one of the distributor. If the Tach works of of inductance, then you could also split the sensor wire so that is attached to two separate plug wires. Lets say the first plug to fire and the 5th plug in the firing sequence (on an 8 cyl) to keep the pulses even. This would give you two even pulses per distributor revolution, or 1 pulse per crank revolution. Not sure if you would need to have a couple of diodes or something to prevent any feedback between the plugs.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 7:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The one wire tachs are available for 2 or 4 stroke. Contain their own battery that is something like a hearing aid battery or watch battery. I've heard they are short life tachs. I don't know. TinyTach is the brand name of one such tach. Cruise eBay to see others and for more details. Usualy cheap in the $25-$50 dollar range.

I've used 12v tachs on my 6v vehilces without any problems.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 9:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved