Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pic Test; Packard & Olds Pumps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I am trying to use photo bucket to post a pic. Hope it works.

Joe Hhttp://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc118/JoeHall_bucket/

Posted on: 2007/8/19 20:24
 Top  Print 

Re: Pic Test; Packard & Olds Pumps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information

Posted on: 2007/8/19 20:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
That looks like a cross flow radiator???

Posted on: 2007/8/19 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I like the fan shroud. The Packard should have one too. I don't like the silly asss electric fans altho i did try one one time.

Posted on: 2007/8/19 21:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
It is a sirocco style (double pass) aluminum radiator. Has two,1" cores, and weighs about 8 lbs dry. It cools a little better than a stock 3 core, but not as good as a copper & brass, 5 core desert cooler I had custom made a few years ago when living in the California desert.

The five core weighs around 35 lbs dry though.

The fan shroud definitely does its job well.

The electric fan works great if ever stuck in traffic on hot days, i.e. Palm Springs or L.A. Probably could do without it here on the east coast, bet better to have it and not need it...

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/8/20 18:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
These are actually a few pix I was trying to post about a month ago. The clutch fan is visible in some, and the AC compressor mount is visible in others.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/8/20 18:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
There is also a pic of my other 56Js engine (the grungiest one), and a pic of the Olds HV and Packard pumps.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/8/20 18:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does anyone have a Packard V8 (or Hash or 56J) oil pump with a bronze bushing in it????

NO! I don't want to buy have anyone send it too me or anything like that all i want to do is study it online in this forum.

Posted on: 2007/8/26 10:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The stock 56J pump does not have a bronze bushing. It is exactly like the Packard pump, except it has a flat plate instead of the vacuum pump add on. The top bushing is nothing more than a machined hole. It could easily have been made 2.5" long, since that is how much meat there is in the pump body, but for some reason, only the bottom half (1.25")was machined. The top half is machined about .050" bigger, and as far as I can see serves no purpose.

To experiment, I had a 1.25" bushing made, installed it in the top half of an old pump, and line reamed it. I then drilled the oil hole (near the top) straight thru, in order for oil to get to the entire bushing. I may install it someday just to see if it works.
I understand that is basically what Max Merritt does with his version of modification.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/8/26 15:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Joe,

On the pumps I redesigned, I made a full-length cast iron bushing to go top to bottom in the pump housing. Then I made a 1/2" thick bottom plate and machined a recess for the shaft. Of course, a longer shaft was necessary. Now, the shaft is supported three times as much on the top, as well as at the bottom. Guarantee that housing bore wear will never be a problem again.

Problem is, I have $400 in machining and labor in each one. Not cost-effective to do them to sell.

BTW, I need a couple more oil pump, water pump and fuel pump cores. The 374" short blocks I have been buying didn't come with them.

thnx, jv.

Posted on: 2007/8/26 16:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved