Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: rochester carb for 1955 400
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Thanks for the info! The outer shell of the stock air cleaner fits over a 14" with no problems? It sounds like it's way too easy. You wouldn't remember which spacer to use? Any other tips that you had to learn the hard way? I really appreciate the help. I really enjoy touring with the local Packard clubs but carb issues make drivability a real problem.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 4:29
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, I didn't have any problems using it. I just used the base and left the top off, and used the Packard top.

As for the spacer, I think it was simply a Mr. Gasket spacer that I bought at Oreilly's for $20 or so.

I must say, using the Edelbrock carb was the best thing I could have ever done. When I put a 4bbl on my '48 I plan on using the 500 cfm version, they're the best carbs out there and the nice thing is, they're NEW with a 1 year warranty!

One other thing, you WILL have to use longer studs for the carb!

Posted on: 2009/10/27 4:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Where should the vacuum hose go that currently attaches to the back of my carb? And the electric choke doesn't need the heater tube from the cylinder head either. Just plug the hole?

Posted on: 2009/10/27 4:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No need to plug the hole, it doesn't go anywhere and won't leak anything out. As for the vacuum, there's two ports on the Edelbrock, one is timed and one isn't. You want to put it on the timed one. The manual will tell you which one it is. You'll have to use a piece of hose though, as there's no way to screw the line into the carb. Also, there's a port on the rear of the carb that you'll need to use for your power brakes.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 4:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Where did you hook up for the juice for the elctric choke?

Posted on: 2009/10/27 5:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I used a wire running from the ignition switch, from the "on" position.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 5:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Gotta go get ready for work. Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll think of other stuff to ask but I really appreciate your help!

Posted on: 2009/10/27 5:15
Jed
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Eric,
I took a look at my current carb and noticed my it has a baseplate with vacuum ports. Do I use that plate with the Edelbrock or do I use vacuum fittings on the new carb? Also, do I need to fabricate a new fuel line from the fuel pump or should I attach to the current line? BTW, I bought the Edelbrock with adapter and 14" air cleaner. I should get it this week.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 12:14
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Your carb has a separate baseplate with vacuum ports on it? That's a new one to me, I've never seen that before. I would say no, you should be able to use the Edelbrock as is. As for the fuel line, I made a new one that fit better than the original, by using a piece of 5/16" steel line sold at parts stores, that was already the right length. I forget the length now though!

When you get the air cleaner, don't use the top chrome piece on it, just use the stock Packard air cleaner top, it'll work fine.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 16:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
Here are a couple pictures of my carb. It looks like a seperate base plate. It's a different color and material. I haven't taken it off though so I don't know if it's part of the carb or seperate.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.07 KB)
1986_4aee05e59525e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.96 KB)
1986_4aee05f2113bc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/1 17:06
Jed
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved