Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 256

BigKev, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tips at buying a Packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

zethreal
See User information
Hello,
I'm new to the world of Packards and am going to be looking at one this weekend. I was wondering if there is anything Packard-specific that I should be looking for as a sign that the car has a lot of problems. I know the normal stuff like checking the frame for rot, running a magnet on the sides to check for bondo & that. I'm just wondering if there are anything that comes to mind as a problem in Packards that I should look for.

It's a 1952 Packard 4-door. Images are below (sorry they're small. they're from it's posting online)

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23kf3p35Q25S35R499a0f7a7dbc01801510.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n93p93l45O95Pd5R799ab892842256c21d1d.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n63p53l35Qe5P95Ra99aff4b8a18faef1eef.jpg

Posted on: 2009/9/17 11:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Tips at buying a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Appears to be the bottom of the line model 200.It should have a 288 cid straight eight with solid lifters.If it has Ultramatic Transmission, you will want to make sure that the trans shifts smoothly.These can be costly to repair.These are nice cars but do not have much value so make sure that it is a solid car that will not require an arm and a leg to repair.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 12:25
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

zethreal
See User information
Thanks. The car is under $1,000 with a parts car & service manual. The owner says it runs, drives and should be roadworthy. I'll make sure to check the shifting.

Thanks for your help & if I get it, I'll be sure to add it to the directory.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Be on the look out for our old friendly enemy Mr. Rust...especially on an upstate NY car!

Posted on: 2009/9/17 13:21
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

zethreal
See User information
I've got my refrigerator magnet and I'm also bringing my laptop & a digital camera. I find that sometimes you can't see underneath very well, so I stick the digital camera under it & aim it in the general direction, take a photo & look at it on my laptop. It saved me from buying a car that looked good everywhere you could easily check without putting it up on a lift.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 15:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
zethreal wrote:........Thanks for your help & if I get it, I'll be sure to add it to the directory.

G'day and to PackardInfo. in advance for the commitment to add it to the Owner Registry, saves me going into my usual spiel at this point! Besides the major items mentioned by others, don't overlook the smaller things like knobs, handles, trim pieces, etc try to ensure it's as complete as possible.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 15:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

zethreal wrote:
I've got my refrigerator magnet and I'm also bringing my laptop & a digital camera. I find that sometimes you can't see underneath very well, so I stick the digital camera under it & aim it in the general direction, take a photo & look at it on my laptop. It saved me from buying a car that looked good everywhere you could easily check without putting it up on a lift.

Great minds think alike! It's astounding what you will see in a photo that the nekkid eyeball misses. Besides, except for the batteries digital photos are free so go crazy and snap away!

Posted on: 2009/9/17 15:49
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Predictor wrote:.......upstate NY car!

East Grand Packards Car Club is The Upstate New York State Region of The Packard Club.http://www.eastgrandpackards.com/index.html

Might be helpful to join the club?

Posted on: 2009/9/17 16:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Depending on how you see the "final product", that is if you plan on doing restoration work to improve the looks of the car, be advised that the grille shell on that car is one-piece die cast, and expensive to replace or rechrome. Mechanically those cars are fine, with the proviso about the Ultramatic already given.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 0:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

zethreal
See User information
Thanks for that. From the pictures I couldn't tell if it was 1 piece or 2. I'm guessing it would be what... about $1,000 to re-chrome the front piece? Maybe a little more?

If I get her, I'd want to fully restore it. I probably won't get it all re-chromed right off, but I'm definitely going to get the rust sanded off of it. I envision the final product being painted in an original color (probably one of the two blues that were offered in '52) and fully re-chromed.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 9:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved