Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 89

JD in KC, JW49, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

fender mounted rear view mirrors
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
I am trying to find the right placement of rear view mirrors on my 55 clipper. I know there was a template used for this. If someone could just give the measurements from the hood fender seam to the screw heads and from the front fender door joint to screw head, this may help.
Gracious

Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:48
 Top  Print   

Re: fender mounted rear view mirrors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I have the dealer installation kit template with both locations marked, door and front fender. I'll dig it out in the next few days and give you the dimensions, or if not too large I'll scan and post. Hold tight, or perhaps someone who moves faster than I will do it first.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 14:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If there a anything in the 55/56 Accessories section of the service manual that covers this?

Posted on: 2009/9/19 2:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Owen,
Thanks for the comeback. I would greatly appreciate it. I have noticed that there is a diffence between the senior and junior mirrors. While they appear the same at a quick glace, the seniors are a little fancier in the shroud that surrounds the mirror. I have checked this out on cars with the original mirrors and it seems the case.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
There is NO difference, Junior vs. Senior, for the factory-issued, dealer-installed outside rearview mirror for 1955-56 Packards (and Clippers); there was only style. Any other mirror design is not genuine Packard; most of those other mirrors that you see on these cars originated in the afermarket.

I prefer the elgeant simplcity of the factory-issue mirror, though they are difficult to come by. While there have been reproductions of that original mirror, they are expensive, but not always identical in form and function. Shop carefully!

As packaged for sale through the dealer network, the original mirror included a body-specific (Junior vs. Senior, 1955 vs. 1956) drilling template with installation notes. That is likely what Owen has, but it may be of some help in placing other mirrors.

IMHO, the front fender mounting location looks best with with dual mirrors and dual rear antennas. Otherwise, the left front fender looks rather cluttered with both the antenna and a mirror. However, I seem to recall that others here have noted that the view of the mirror as mounted on the door in factory location is obstructed by the front window run channel; you may need a helper to tweak exact placement to suit your needs (as the driver).

Below is an image of an NOS mirror, in profile, and detail of the stem. I believe the basic mirror design was used from 1951-1956, but the stem detail changed for 1955-56 to permit mounting on front fenders, as well as below the beltline on front doors. Be aware of that detail on reproduction mirrors, as I got burned by a vendor, but only once.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.95 KB)
103_4ab4f78abf403.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (67.86 KB)
103_4ab4f940533de.jpg 400X302 px

Posted on: 2009/9/19 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I am still looking for the correct placement of the outside rear view mirrors. Anyone have an answer?

Posted on: 2010/2/7 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Brian,

I am pretty certain that a mirror was available for '55 Seniors that was special. It had the Packard Crest centered on the front side, and a wide chrome ring around the mirror itself.

I may have a picture of this, but I'd really have to dig through old stuff.

Anyone else seen one of these babies? It was really neat.

Posted on: 2010/2/7 13:13
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would be interesting to see. I don't remember ever seeing one and it doesn't show in 55 or 56 accessory catalog so maybe something very special for a promotion or maybe aftermarket??

As to the posters original question, surely someone has a mirror template. I thought we were going to have a template file but didn't find one so named in obvious places. Remember seeing several antenna templates showing in the recent photos section a few weeks ago but not sure where they went.

Posted on: 2010/2/7 13:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to repeat again from post #2 above, yes I have the template that provides both door and fender positions. The template comes with the accessory mirror kit, and if you buy the mirror from Jay Fisher, he also includes a copy of it with his mirror.

The template is too large for the ordinary photocopier bed but I suppose I could get a copy made from a place that specializes in oversize reproductions. PM if you want to discuss.

Posted on: 2010/2/7 14:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just wondered if not rolled or too delicate if possible to copy in quarters or more and post files that could be printed and taped together--maybe some dimensions could accompany in case print was not actual size.

Posted on: 2010/2/7 14:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved