Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Wiring Harness Install ('55 Packard (5587) 400)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Kevin congratulations on a really nice job, your engine bay will be the envy of many me included... in the last picture there appears to be a pressure gauge, bracket mounted to the cylinder head, what is this for... If it is oil pressure where is it connected to...? I have been wanting to mount a mechanical oil pressure gauge underhood on my 55 400 but the only place I could think to take a line from was to make some sort of adapter to fit below the oil sender unit.

Regards,

Dave.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 17:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Guys,

Many thanks for the encouragement. I'm also very glad my experience has also helped a couple of others along their Packard journey.

Randy......I think you are right. I seem to remember those j-styled pieces. Now the task is to locate them.

kg

Posted on: 2009/12/12 17:09
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Kevin,

Not sure if it matters to you or not, but I noticed something which is overlooked on many cars I have seen is the Hood Hinge Spring. They were actually black from the factory. The hinge itself is plated, but the spring is painted black. I found traces on black paint on mine, and matches the PI Engine Judging Guide and some of the photos they use for reference.

Here is a picture off of my '54.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.63 KB)
1_4b241aafce48e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/12 17:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Kenin. In post #3 above is pic of the battery tray and the front left most corner of the engine.

Why is there a bolt screwed into the BACK SIDE of the water pump manifold????

Posted on: 2009/12/12 17:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think you're seeing things Keith, there is no bolt on the back side of the water pump. Just the opening between the top arm of the water pump and the lower.

Posted on: 2009/12/12 18:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Keith, no bolt, just an optical illusion as Eric makes mention. You had me going for a minute however!

Posted on: 2009/12/12 22:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Big Kev

Who did your springs? Frankly also, if there was a way to do the 5588 hood support option, I'd do that thing too. Maybe I could start a new thread and have Caribbean owners post pictures of their hood supports for us 5582 & 5587 owners. (I'm green with envy!)

Posted on: 2009/12/12 22:28
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I did the springs myself. I removed the entire hinge from the car and sandblasted them, moving the hinge into different open/closed position to get every angle and get the springs in the "expanded" state to get in between the coils.

Then I used a large screwdriver to remove the spring from the hinge. The hinge itself was sprayed in Cadmium paint from Eastwood. The springs were re-sandblasted to get down inside them, and then painted with Eastwood Chassis Black. I painted the hinges first, and once everything was dry and cured, I then bolted the hinges back on car to hold them in place, and carefully put the springs back in place while the springs were still a bit tacky. That way I could leave them in the expanded state while they finished drying. Then I touched up the paint where needed with a small brush.

Posted on: 2009/12/13 14:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved