Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Packard Pickups
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My buddy Bob sez I should post some pics of a recent project. This is a 52 200 "Packup" with 288 and overdrive. It is one of a series of 7 that range from "all done" to only just started. This is actually #3 but the project was held up a while. This just needs a couple pieces of beltline trim and a headliner before it ships.

I always use tacky run-down 4 doors that no one wants to restore anyway--doing my part to keep resale value up for the rest of you guys.

The yellow and black 56 is my own shop truck, #5. With torsion level its very handy for hauling blocks to the machine shop, picking up sand blast sand and the like.

I leave the rear doors openable for access under the bed for tools and luggage you don't want people to see.

We fabricate the beds here and frame them in heavy tubing to maintain rigidity; a Packard sedan has all the integrity of a piece of warm cheese once the roof is cut!

That's Bob's sedan as the "before" example. Enjoy.

Attach file:

jpg  (135.60 KB)
618_4abead2611fe7.jpg 1091X818 px

jpg  (110.13 KB)
618_4abead795c16d.jpg 1068X801 px

jpg  (111.19 KB)
618_4abeada368f13.jpg 1091X818 px

jpg  (112.73 KB)
618_4abeadca05645.jpg 1091X818 px

jpg  (126.41 KB)
618_4abeadefaa4d8.jpg 1091X818 px

Posted on: 2009/9/26 19:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Pickups
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Ross,

Very creative art work on creating these "El Grande Boulavardes" (or whatever Packard might have called them). Please add them to the Owner Registry [and indicate the 'modifications' you have described in this posting]

I always wonder what happens to a parts car that isn't fully-parted. You have recycled these Packards with the class they deserve. They become your 'worker-bees' in the Packard restoration hive. (enough metaphors already )

I like them. Nice work! Tastefully done!

DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/26 19:30
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting and appears nicely done. A lot like a white one that was around Los Angeles & said to be an Earl C. Anthony conversion for a shop truck--although I think that was a 2 door. Do you have any side pictures of the 56 you can post?

Posted on: 2009/9/26 19:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Great job! Reminds me of a later model Kaiser I saw years ago that had been converted into a tow truck. Gadzooks!

Posted on: 2009/9/26 20:33
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ross, I didn't know you had it in you! Reminds me of my old "HudTruck"! Mine had a 429 Ford and a '96 Cougar IRS with a Pacer front clip for 4 wheel disc brakes. It would burn rubber like no tomorrow! Sadly, I had to sell it when I moved to Salina, and the guy I sold it to has completely parted it out, to the point where he torched the Pacer front end out of it and removed the rear end. It was sad for me to go look at it a while ago, as it broke my heart to see it like that. That is when I decided I'll never sell another car that means so much to me.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.02 KB)
34_4abecb22ae44a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (160.00 KB)
34_4abecb36ec9f8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (162.18 KB)
34_4abecb4b61a1e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (54.00 KB)
34_4abecb5591c6d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (62.51 KB)
34_4abecb6d0b06e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.12 KB)
34_4abecb7baa829.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
41ParPack wrote: Ross,......Please add them to the Owner Registry [and indicate the 'modifications' you have described in this posting] DanL

DanL, I second the motion! Please include the Packard Pickups, here we'd call 'em "Utes", in the Registry.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Nice.

Another approach to a "Packup" is being done by Sue Ann, wife of Paul whose 56 Exec is featured here:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PaulProject.html

The donor car is a 1956 Clipper 4dr with T-L, so it will handle the "heavy loads" with aplomb.

Her stylistic approach is somewhat different. She had the roof cut so that the front door was eliminated. The whole rear door and rear window assembly was moved forward, making a 2-door out of it.

The next time I am in Las Vegas, I will make a point of getting some pictures of this work in progress.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/9/27 6:47
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Nice jobs! Although I'm not usually a big fan of pick-ups built from large sedans, these are nicely done.

Now for your next conversion project consider: a '51-'56 Clipper station wagon. For the rear roof section and tailgate area, the parts from a '54-'56 Buick or a '51-'54 Chrysler/DeSoto/Dodge look to be the best fit. While those cars aren't common, they still do show up as parts cars.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/9/27 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'd like to see a '48-'54 Henney Senior ambulance made into a pickup. I think that would be rather easy to do.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 9:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Another conversion I'd like to see would be a '51-'54 Henney Senior hearse or ambulance built into a parade phaeton. Think of a Packard version of the '50 Lincoln Cosmopolitan parade phaeton used by President Eisenhower.

With the top and upper door structures removed, then a trunk area section from a sedan fitted. That section would also have seat back mountings. The rest of the rear passenger compartment could include a set of folding jump seats out of another make 8 passenger sedan/limousine. A light folding top structure would be desirable too if the car were to be usable in inclement weather.

All finished in a classic dark blue, with flag staffs, lights and step plates and handles for the security detail, it would be a kick to drive in local parades.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/9/27 10:14
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved