Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard in Afghanistan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mseanowen
See User information
While stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan I found a Packard convertible in a bombed-out facility. The locals I knew there "gave" me the car, but before I could get around to hauling it out I had to PCS to another base. The car is still there to the best of my knowledge. I was wondering if anybody knows if it is rare and worth trying to get it back home now that I am out of 'Stan. Finding a Packard in Afghanistan seemed a little strange.

Attach file:

jpg  (181.87 KB)
1500_4abecab6069c5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (116.93 KB)
1500_4abecb14ea9b6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard in Afghanistan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It just goes to show that Packard is a World Class automobile! If it was in a little better condition, I'd say save it. But I imagine the effort it would take to get that back home will far outweigh what it would cost to buy one here in similar or better condition. It's a shame, because this "Taliban Staff Car" is a convertible, and convertibles are always worth keeping. If you were still stationed there, I'd say try to get it, but only if you had a buddy in supply that could get it out for cheap for you.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
mseanowen wrote: While stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan I found a Packard convertible in a bombed-out facility. The locals I knew there "gave" me the car..........

G'day mseanowen,

Seeing it's your Packard how about including it in the Owner Registry, together with a pic and the story of how it found you?
See your '56 Clipper Super is already in the Registry:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=448

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Looks like a '48 model 2279. Nice example of the open front bumper with the painted centers. Wonder if it has floors? It's too bad the car is in Afghanistan and not some barn in rural Missouri.

Edit: RHD? I guess that would make it pretty rare.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 22:55
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mseanowen
See User information
I do still have a buddy there who could arrange shipping so it is still possible. (In three years spent I spent there I made a lot of friends.) It does have floor pans and despite the rough appearance it is actually pretty solid; despite living through a severe air strike.
It is a right hand drive, and the running gear is fairly intact. I hate to call in favors if it isn't worth it, and was simply wondering if the real Packard experts on this forum could tell me if I should try to get it shipped home. I guess it isn't worth it; I hate to know it is rotting away over there. Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you've got buddies that can get it over here, and cheaply, then grab it!!!!!!!!! There's quite a few of us that can help you with the missing parts, I have a good hood for it for starters. GRAB IT!

Posted on: 2009/9/27 20:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Turbopackman wrote:.....this "Taliban Staff Car" is a convertible, and convertibles are always worth keeping........

with Eric. If it's feasible to do so and not cost prohibitive, then do what you can to get it back to the US. It is a convertible which are reasonably rare and consequently more valuable. And the fact that it's RHD shouldn't be a big factor, as I'm sure it's easy to convert it to LHD, from what I understand the chassis should have all the holes in place for LHD fitment.
Go for it!

Posted on: 2009/9/27 20:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'd leave it RHD, and tell everyone that it's the only good thing to come out of Afghanistan since we invaded.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
A right hand drive conv. is worth the effort.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Im amazed that such Packards still exist and more so that it has come up form a region where I would least expect it.
I agree with Eric and everyone els how are the same opinion that this car should be saved!

Out topic but:
On the second picture there on the right is a Soviet forklift,
same kind I have worked with in here.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 4:21
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved