Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rewiring of 1954 Convertible
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
I bought a 54 convertible several years ago. It is in relatively good shape. When it's running, it runs pretty good. A couple of issues are that when it has been shut off, the starter will not turn the motor over. Once it cools down, it will, but forget it if you stop for a few minutes!! The other issue is I have electrical problems, i.e., intermittent tail lights, dash lights, etc. Visually, the wiring is fair to poor in condition. I'm not is a position today to start the desired frame-off restoration, but I would still like to enjoy the fun of the car. If you would, please provide you thoughts/suggestions on installation of a new wiring harness. Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2009/9/27 15:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Rewiring of 1954 Convertible
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might want to check your ignition timing; turning over normally when cool but with difficulty when hot is a classic symptom of an overly advanced ignition timing.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 15:39
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Thanks for the reply, howver, when I say the motor won't turn over, I mean that the starter won't even turn the motor. If I jump it with a 12V system, it will start.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 15:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also make sure the battery terminals & connections are clean and you have the proper old size battery cables and not the 12v ones or even those sold today at parts stores for 6v. It is also possible the starter is getting heat soaked and losing efficiency & it or solenoid needs repair. I just replaced the starter/solenoid in my modern Ford PU for the exact same problem-worked cold, clunk but no go when hot.

As to the wiring harness, if the original type repro is out of the question now, individual wires of the proper type & color can be bought by the foot from places such as RhodeIsland Wiring.http://www.riwire.com/ Difficulty with that approach would be the wire would be external or else the fabric covering on the loom would be cut & lost if removing the old ones. They also have the proper size battery cables if yours are suspect.

There are some modern universal aftermarket looms that others here have used with success. Most of those are designed around 12v though so a few changes or relay additions might be necessary with heavy draw items such as headlights. Couple of those are:
http://www.kayjayco.com/techKits.htm
http://www.painlessperformance.com/

Posted on: 2009/9/27 15:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
54ocmac wrote: I bought a 54 convertible several years ago......

G'day 54ocmac,
to PackardInfo. Sorry I can't help with your request but I will make a request to you. Could you please include your '54 Convertible in the Owner Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Quote:
54ocmac wrote: Here is a '54 Panama that you don't see too often.......

And from your other post, once we see it, if the '54 Panama is yours, could you do the same with it too? Please?

Posted on: 2009/9/27 16:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
A couple of easy things to try:
You may have corrosion in your light switch. You can buy spray cleaners for radio tuners at Radio Shack. Spray some in the switch and try pulling-pushing it several times.

The power wire to the lights may be grounding out or broken. This wire can be easily duplicated with a short run of new wire. It is hot all the time so it doesn't go through the ignition. Connecting it to the hot side of the solenoid on the starter is probably the closest, easy to reach spot to hook into.

If you see a frayed spot in the wiring, seal it up with a little permatex silicon.

If your lights aren't all out at once, check the grounds at individual lights. I've found that this connection is subject to more corrosion than any other for some reason. You might even add jumper wire from the taillight to the ground.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 21:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Troubleshooting your starter problem:
Check the battery ground where it attaches to the engine block. Make sure it is a clean tight connection. As stated above, make sure that you have very heavy battery cables. Six volt cables are twice the size of 12 volt. You can test this by heating the car up and using your jumper cables in addition to the current battery cables. If the starter turns, you need heavier cables.

When the car is hot and you try to start it do you hear a click at the solenoid? You may have to have someone else turn the key while you listen under the hood. If you hear a loud click, then you know that your ignition switch is working.

Turn the key on and Take a short piece of wire and jump from the small nut on the solenoid to the large nut on the solenoid that the battery cable is hooked to. This takes the ignition switch out of the circuit. Does the solenoid click? If there is no click, the solenoid is bad.

Does the starter turn over? If the solenoid clicks but the starter doesn't turn, your solenoid is good but you need a new starter. The starter has short that opens when it gets hot. It will get worse as time goes on. If they both work then the problem is in the ignition switch or ignition wiring. Try using radio tuner cleaner or a similar product in the switch.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 21:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mark,
for including your '54 Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry. Trust you resolve the "..electrical problems and issues with engine not cranking after it gets hot and is turned off..." soon, so you can properly enjoy your Packard.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 15:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved