Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 115

JD in KC, dallas, su8overdrive, Ross, 29tons, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

packard pickup trucks
Just popping in
Just popping in

gusboy
See User information
I would like to know about pickup trucks manufactured by packard.Such as years made,model designation etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I LOVE these trucks but there's not much information that i can find on them.The ones I've seen are 1936,and 1937 models.Again much thanks to anyone who can help.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 10:59
gusboy
 Top  Print   

Re: packard pickup trucks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yeah, some of them are really attractive, but Packard discontinued making trucks shortly after the First World War. The ones you see are either new creations, or perhaps more often were made up by dealers for their service work from low value returns, crashed cars, and the like. Dealers of the 30s and 40s often had service trucks, especially wreckers made from old Pierce Arrows, Lincolns, Packards and the like as most of these had very strong chassis and very numerically high rear axle ratios. The half-dozen Packard pickup-style trucks I've seen in the last few years are all new creations.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Gusboy: Packard built trucks from 1905 till 1923. Give me sometime to check my reference library for information concerning Packard trucks.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/8/28 20:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think Owen is on the right track. Here is an example of a Packard Dealer Service Vehicle:

http://jtw37.us/packard.html

As Owen stated, they were hobbled together by dealers for their own use.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 0:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard pickup trucks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Big Kev: I was merely filling in the blanks as to when Packard did manufacture trucks. The true answer to his question should be, that Packard never produced any kind of light pickup truck for sale to the public.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/8/29 5:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
John S. is correct, Packard only manufactured heavy-duty trucks during the years listed. Here is a photo of one such truck, carrying barrels of beer from Detroit's Gobel brewerey. We used to consume Gobel's--it was Stroh's bargan brand. This was before all of the local brewereys were nudged out by the national brands.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.41 KB)
129_46d56d855724d.jpg 800X626 px

Posted on: 2007/8/29 7:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm not saying John or anyone was wrong. I was just pointing out that I think the trucks the poster was referring to were these dealer created Fraken-trucks used for service purposes. As they are the closest thing to a pickup style truck to ever wear the Packard badge.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 10:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

JWL115C1089
See User information
Richard Sladen, the PAC roster keeper for 115Cs has converted a 1937 Six into a pickup. He may have done more than one. They look like something the factory would have produced. He lives in Whistler, B.C. and can be contacted at ruskor@blacktusk.or. John Lawrence

Posted on: 2007/8/30 12:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A well-known Packard collector in New Jersey has also had two of these created, one sold by Hyman at Hershey a few years ago for quite significant money. There are perhaps as many as a dozen of these creations running around the country, I'd guess.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 14:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gusboy
See User information
Guys,thanks for all the info.I knew packard had produced heavy duty trucks from the turn of the century to the 1920's,but was under the impression that these trucks where produced at the factory for dealership service departments from 110 or 120 chassis,and cowls.The ones I've seen are extremely well finished,and factory looking.Oh well,they are still cool.

Posted on: 2007/9/1 11:38
gusboy
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved