Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wheel discs
Just popping in
Just popping in

Glen
See User information
I have a set of wheel discs on my 51 convertible and would like to redo the red in the centre of the disc. Is there a vinyl decal that is used there or do people generally try to repaint this area?
Also would anyone know if there were a wire wheel cover that is used on these cars? Not in the position to buy the true wire wheels.

Cam

Posted on: 2009/10/5 12:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel discs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Vinyl decals are available from the Packard Club. They are made with 3M stick-on reflective material. Here is the link
http://www.packardclub.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=28
I simply made a set for mine with some sticky back red decal material I bought at an auto parts store as my painting skills are not the greatest. As to wire wheel caps I'll let someone else answer that as I am not that familiar with the "high pocket" models.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the paint was original and the scotchlite reflective hexagons were an option. There are two similar sizes - measure carefully

Posted on: 2009/10/5 13:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was an accessory wire wheel cover set available but from all I have read, was a fairly rare option. Probably be pretty scarce and expensive if you do find them. Wonder how a modern set would look or if they could be disguised.

Never seen a Packard set but interesting how the 54 fact book says they mount same as regular wheel. There must be something behind the cap that goes under lug nuts. The regular wire wheel next to the wire "trim" has much shorter and thicker wires so not really that close in looks.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.34 KB)
209_4aca8e5fab13d.jpg 690X75 px

jpg  (11.14 KB)
209_4aca8f53c6c18.jpg 491X172 px

jpg  (14.11 KB)
209_4aca9054c3da7.jpg 393X210 px

Posted on: 2009/10/5 19:25
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Glen
See User information
What part of Ontario are you in and secondly, do you have to be a member of the Packard club to buy from their store?

Posted on: 2009/10/5 20:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Cam, If you are referring to me, I live in Thunder Bay and no you don't have to be a PAC member to purchase whatever they sell.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 20:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, I always assumed they snapped on similar to how beauty rings mount.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 21:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, I assumed the same until seeing that bit in the fact book. Maybe if anyone has ever seen a set up close they could fill in the blanks.

The 54 accessory folder doesn't mention the mounting for the trim but shows the real wheel in different spot so no mistaking them. The fact book doesn't show the wheel--just the trim so halfway wondered if they combined the two descriptions.

Another of those anomalies like the transparent AC ducts.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 22:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yup, I guess another one for the X-Files. I will file it between Bigfoot and Nessie!

Posted on: 2009/10/5 22:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Is there a vinyl decal that is used there or do people generally try to repaint this area?

Don't know what the vinal stick on ones cost. I would guess painting the centers would be OK. I masked them off and sprayed them with a rattle can about two years ago. They still look good. You wouldn't know it wasn't original paint.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 23:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved