Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tool for removing split rings on 1930 spoked wheels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Greetings,

Does anyone know of a tool that will help with getting the chrome split rings off and on the rims on the 733 spoke wheels?

Thanks
Gene

Posted on: 2009/10/8 10:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Tool for removing split rings on 1930 spoked wheels
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not familiar with the Packard application or how much they are like big truck applications.

However i will give u an *** EXTREME WARNING ****

When inflating the tire be absolutely sure to place the entire wheel assembly under a grease rack or tie chains around the wheel. IF the split rim happens to pop off during inflation it is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS !!!!! The rim can literally and physically sever your head from your shoulders.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 12:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Thanks for the head's up.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Thanks for the head's up.

No pun intended......

Posted on: 2009/10/8 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
OK, I've worked with my local tire guy and have figured it out. This is the process for wire wheels but should be similiar for other type of wheels. First deflate the tire. Lay the tire flat. Put one or two layers of duct tape around the outer rim edge to protect the paint. You need to push down the split ring and tire to accomplish this.

Then using a large flat blade screw driver, start to lift the ring over the edge of the rim. You use the screw driver to leverage the ring out and up, but you need to accomplish this but only rsting the end of the screw driver on the part of the rim that is not seen when the tire is on. Careful not to pinch the tube. Hopefully the tape will protect the paint. Issue is the ring can start lifting the paint on the edge of the rim.

Putting the ring back is just the opposite. It's good to have two people doing this and wearing heavy gloves for safety.

After doing this on 6 wheels, we figured it out on the last one. Had to feather sand, mask and paint 6 wheels. Took about 4 hours per wheel. Not fun. My last flat went on and off with minimal damage.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 1:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
OK you jinxed me. My split ring split today about 4" from one end. A guy at the car show today said said did you know your ring was split. I started to say to him well that's why they call them split rings. Luckily it was near the end and there's plenty of tension to hold the tire in. But it needs to be replaced.

Need to find another one. I know Henry Yeska has some rechromed ones, but I've never been impressed with his stuff. I can just see hydrogen embrittlement issues with his rings. Any other ideas where to get a used one. I would like to send the ring to someone to get it replated who is aware of the proper procedure on how to rechrome these rings and avoid the hydrogen embrittlement issue.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 0:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Does anyone now who is selling split rings. Looking for a 19".

Posted on: 2009/12/8 1:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Coker makes them. As far as hydrogen embrittlement, I was told that because of the thickness of the rim that it wasn't really an issue. Only an issue with smaller, thinner pieces.
That said, Librandi Plating in Pennsylvania is good. 717-944-9442
We just had our 19-inchers replated at D&D Brightworks in Piqua, Ohio. They do a lot of Pebble Beach chrome.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 9:03
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jmmfranklin
See User information
I agree with all the caution statements - they do kill and mame. To remove lock ring take out the tube valve core so no air exists in tube. I find it super helpful to build a few inch wooden platform under the hub so the tire can droop past the rim (if you lay the tire flat on the floor it still puts pressure on the ring - making ring removal difficult). Never beat on a rim (if it looks over expanded upon reinstlation - do not worky it will close upon careful and incredibly risky inflation (IN A CAGE AT A TIRE STORE - remember Kill and Mame upon inflation). Remember - to lightly talc the tube, flap, and tire to prevent any sticking of tube to other pieces. Also, remove all stickers from tube, inside of tire, and flap (stickers and tubes do not go together - ie danger when driving). Finally, inflate then deflate and then inflate again (to prevent any wrinkles in tube.

JMM

Posted on: 2009/12/8 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
West,

I could not find any split rings on Cokers web site, only trim rings.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 1:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved