Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1950 23rd series 2392-5
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Hi,
I got some prices on packing my 288 cylinder head for shipping. The bids range from $88 to $193. The head and spark plugs weight is 60 lbs without the crate. One shipper estimated the total weight including a wooden crate and dunnage at 100 lbs. The outside dimensions of the crate are 39" x 13" x 10". This size includes blocks on the bottom for easy handling with a forklift.
I looked at the UPS website and both the size and weight are well within their limits. Let me know if you wish to go ahead with this head purchase. You can contact me off line at:
(619)475-1155 (home)
Fred Puhn
425 Shell Ave.
National City, CA
fredpuhn@cox.net

Posted on: 2009/10/19 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
From left: 1953 327, 1947 356, 1948 356.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/10/19 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Eric, thanks for sharing the photo of the 3 cylinder heads. It answers many questions about interchangeability and combustion chamber shapes. Are you sure about the identification order of the heads? It looks to me like the head you have identified as a 1947 356 (middle) has 18mm spark plug holes. I thought the '47s had 10mm plugs (mine does). Maybe it is just my failing eyesight.

Posted on: 2009/10/20 10:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's failing eyesight, both of the 356 heads have 10mm plugs. It's hard to tell because the plugs were still in it when I took the picture. The main difference in the heads is the area over the cylinder, the valve area is more or less identical in all the heads I have. There's slight shape difference between the plug holes, but not enough to really cause any difference.

Posted on: 2009/10/20 10:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

49packsuper
See User information
Need some help on my 49 Super Deluxe I just purchased. The car was a nonrunning but very solid car which I since got running with some fuel work and still have to jump a wire from battery to starter solenoid. Anyway, it now runs quite smoothly but smokes quite a bit probably from sitting for 4-6 years. I got a brake pedal after bleeding the master but after driving for 3 days lost brakes completely. Questions: How hard is it to do rings on the 356 without pulling the motor? (I'm an old Ford tech but admittedly don't know 'it' from Shinola about 49 flathead Packards) Is there a dual cylinder master cylinder kit anywhere for a small peice of mind and not a huge peice of
pocketbook? Thanks for your patience and advice.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I wouldn't attempt doing a ring job with the engine in the car, but I would imagine it can be done. It's just so much easier to do it with the engine out of the car.

As for your master cylinder question, I don't know of any, but I'm thinking of making one to use a later dual master cylinder in the stock location. I'm thinking a piece of 1/4" angle iron drilled to match the Packard mount and the new master cylinder would be the way to go.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved