Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »

37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Okay guys..need some practical advice..for 12 years not problem hitting starter and car fires up.
!)getting plenty of fuel almost floods from continually cranking..that not the issue or so it seems
2)have never removed the distri for any serviceing.
3)check the gap on points..its in fac specs when open .020
4)with ign on and cap off, i'm getting the normal sparks when touching the point set and grounding.
5) Ill check plugs tonight to see if they are all fouled and carboned up..will let you know on that one.

a couple times it seemed to Just about fire but didnt.

any ideas where to check..

I even learned that you dont have to sit in car and press the starter button.lolol There is a switch on the top of the starter solenoid which preforms the same function as the starter button inside the car..duh !!!

Okay all you folks who are familiar with starting system, need your thoughts and advice..thanks guys

Posted on: 2009/10/14 16:56
 Top  Print 

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
i even tried starting fluid..in carb throat..not even a single pop when cranking

Posted on: 2009/10/14 16:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Sounds like the engine has been running fine ?
If it doesn't turn out to be something simple , i wounder if it may have a worn timing chain ?

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
it has alway been a little hard in starting. with a couple of hits on acc peddle and a couple of cranks..it would fire up. Has always smelled rich however, which is more of a carb adjstment there however.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had a distributor problem with my 1937 Six. The lobe shaft came loose from its attachment to the automatic advance mechanism and caused the car to stop running and not restart. This is probably not your problem, but it is easy to check. Remove the distributor cap, and try and turn the rotor. It should only move a slight amount that the automatic advance mechanism allows. If you can move it more than this then you have "lobe shafteritus". It is not terminal, and better than a slipped timing chain.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Pheww..hope its not timing chain..lot of swearing which Mama Dee is used to....hahah. She just runs and hides..lolo..Okay, if we eventually have to go that route, arent there two marks on the gears which must be lined up but to but so the valve timing is accurate..??

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Pretty simple to align.
Try all the simple stuff first.If you didnt even get a pop-I would make sure you are gettin spark at the plugs.
Can you check the compression ? You may want to check the valve adjustment.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Sanford,I know you said the points measured correctly,But if there has not been any service for a while how do you know they are not pitted? I have seen points that LOOKED good only to find I could have hidden a VW bug in the unseen cavity in the points.If nothing else run some 500 grit paper thru them.Not the best way but she might wake up. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
some good points so far..I do have another set of points, cap and rotor..so therefore dont have to do any on car filing

son has a compression testor..will see if Im getting spark from each plug after i check and clean them by grounding against the block as car is cranked.

Adju vavles a few years back running hot WITH the three wrenches and learning how to be a contorsionist. and of course liberally sprinkled once again with swearing that would make a paratrooper 'blush'

Posted on: 2009/10/14 18:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
checked plugs..no carbon to speak of but fouled up from continous cranking. gaps are fine about .028 +/- recommended per book is .026 -.030 for the 6 cyc 115C

Posted on: 2009/10/14 18:41
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved