Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
bobby..

i am leaning towards that...a distributor issue...with the worst timing chain as far as disassembly reassembly etc.
and i think thats what most of the guys think on this subject in the forum here..as i said earlier..the plugs were wet from the cranking and just a little black..(fuel a bit too rich.) but thats another minor issue. was gonna do it tonight in the garage...but she aint heated here in Michigan.lolol will keep all posted on progress. Good point on the condenser...have a couple of those (new ones) too

Posted on: 2009/10/14 22:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
okay cleaned the plugs, cranked enigne and everyone of the plugs showed a strong blue/white spark when grounding each one against the block...hmmm !! still havent changed the points and condensor as recommended...but why if im showing the above??

Posted on: 2009/10/16 17:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
maybe a distr. timing light will give us a clue?? your thoughts

Posted on: 2009/10/16 17:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
i dont tink the vaccum advance could come into play with just starting do you...it kicks in with higher revolutions is my thought

Posted on: 2009/10/16 17:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
i did notice however that i can thurn the head of the dist manually a little effort but still..is that suppossed to held rigid with that lower distri clamp

a chev guy told me on his 41 you can actually see the distr move a little or rotate a tad when he revs the engine opn his 41

Posted on: 2009/10/16 17:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
if after checking with a timing light and everything seems to be in order...well then maybe it is a Fuel issue of some sorts...stale, water, etc in tank. but yet it smells so rich when flooded.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 17:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I hate to throw a wrench in anything BUT. Spark at the plugs OUTSIDE the cylinders means little,At best your plugs are good.But will it jump gap under pressure?You need a spark tester.The only way to know for sure.Unless I have missed something you haven't proved that yet.Better check that before you go too far in an other direction. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/16 19:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Or a bare wire to block test should tell the story as well.Put a piece of metal in a spark plug boot and see if it will jump at least 1/8 inch or better. If not you have a Bad coil.Would explain why your spark plugs look wet too. Brian

Posted on: 2009/10/16 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
hmmm interesting..well i went and got points condensor etc today at NAPA, and even if thats not the problem the parts will all be new eliminating any problems down the road.

Posted on: 2009/10/17 16:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
another question..since it appears many of us are not electrical minded..what is the condersor in the distributor for and what is its function..?? had a three way on skype with my bud in South Africa and Australia today...the concensus was "I dont know" but you got to have it" lololo

Posted on: 2009/10/17 16:24
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved