Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18)

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Just wanna say thanks to all the following Bud's who gave their input. I really appreciated your help..so does the Mrs for obvious reasons..lol

1938Clubcoupe Auburn CA
JW Austin TX
Brians51 Detroit MI
41ParPack Souix Falls SD
Turboman Witchita KS
HH56 Fresno CA
Bob1951 Hayward CA
Clipper47 who was on verge of driving down from Canada.lol

Tbirdman...think Ive sold to you on ebay
Traumjaegercat our Limey Bud in the UK
Ozstaman from down under in OZ
Snopak Snoqualimie WA
Big Kev Webmaster
Phiis38coupe Coventry RI
BdeB ?
Appin also down under in OZ
pepePackard also in Roo land..OZ
49Packard Cape Girardeau MO

and my friend and long time bud, Phil Hammond Chairman of the Queenstown Automobile Club
in Queenstown South Africa

and finally Owen Dyneto..who after analyzing all the info kept going back to ignition and timing...and who was so kind as to email some of his reprints on the proper way to set timing to a 'baseline'

as they say..."it is not a hobby but a passion'
Sanford 'Sandy' Mitchell
Mem chairman of River Raisin Packards, Monroe Michigan

Attach file:

jpg  (182.30 KB)
623_4aff58fc9d956.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/11/14 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Congrats. You got it started faster than I would have. It took me all last winter to get my 12 Cadillac to start. Turns out it was also timing, but it was valve timing. The pin that was holding the cam gear on the camshaft sheared, but the cam gear had enough friction not to freewheel. However it did throw the valve timing off by about 90 degrees.

Tomorrow we pull the engine from my 32. It appears from the initial diagnose it was never put together properly. But looking at a complete rebuild this winter.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 0:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Congratulations and a bit of respect for staying with the problem till it was solved. Lesser people would have given up. Enjoy your Packard!

Posted on: 2009/11/15 1:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Well done Sandy,
I do admire your tenacity at sticking to the problem. Lots of other guys would have smashed it with a hammer.Full marks also to O.D who yet again has had a big input in solving the problem. Is there no end to his knowledge on these old cars.
Now enjoy the old lady on happy summer runs.
Terry

Posted on: 2009/11/15 3:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sandy,

I have been following, what can only be termed this long running saga, with great interest. Your tenacity in sticking with the problem until solved is admirable. That's one sweet '37.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 5:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Usually, it is something basic and simple that gives us so much trouble. When in doubt go back to the basics - Compression, Ignition, and Fuel - in that order. Owen_Dyneto was right, again.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 12:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Sanford,
Congrats!
You did it. It did end up to be something simple.
You just managed to do a 'tune-up' overhaul of every possible start-up repair and diagnostic.
You're persistent and you KNOW your 37!

DanL

Posted on: 2009/11/16 20:18
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Dan..

Know my 37??? and HOW bud..a real eye awakening learning process. Bud that distr. is LOCKED in until I get a timing light and 'fine tune' it. I also turned the grease cup
and added a couple of drops of oil per Maintenace in the 37 Pack manual. I did notice tonight that the wire lead from the coil to distri. looks a little questionable..taking no chances..making a new wire tommarrow.

Have some brake issues too(pedal goes to the floor) but that will be a walk thru the rose garden after what I went thru...also plan on doing all the necessary lubrication and pack the bearings..just P.M. work(preventive maintenance.)

the car always seemed to be hard starting..Now I know why as I never looked at the distri since I had it. It was prob because the spark was a shade too retarded. I only drive it about 200 miles at the most per year.

I drainned the oil today...and buddy ..could you smell the raw gas in the pan..Pheww...from three weeks plus of cranking with no results.

Still gonna get a spared coil to carry in trunk...JUST IN case..along with a cap, rotor, condensor and points..a moving garage so to speak..

6 years ago the car died on me..it was due to the fuel pump.
had it rebuilt using a rubber diaphram , After I get the valve settings back in line with factory specs.

I'm gonna get a new head gasket..as im a bit concerned about the compression in number 3 which shows 30 psi cold
could be a leak there..but if rings then it wont help.

but like you in the Upper midwest..outside of maybe watching football as the snow flies , what else is there to do, but do maintenance work on our 'ladies'

Attach file:

jpg  (16.93 KB)
623_4b02022916e7a.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2009/11/16 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
After being in on Anna Maria Island and Ruskin Fla for the winter..which was darn cold this year. I went out to start the 37 115....I was holding my breath since solving the timing problems...after several cranks from sitting..my baby fired right up..YESS Im good to go..now to turn my attention to the brakes..must have a leak in one of the cyclders or perhaps other issues.Minor compared to the mind bending issue of timing..hahah

I have a visitor here from Melbourne Australia, of the Vintage Drivers Club in Melbourne..owner of a 1924 Fiat.
Having a great time..went to Gilmores Museum in Hickory Corners Michigan and the ACD museum over in Auburn.
His name is Constantine Mandylas..He has asked me to join him on his journed in a T from Melbourne to Moscow in 2012
Better get permission from the powers to be like Mama DEE (wife) hahahaha

He helped me today moving a 526 engine for preping it to send to my fellow buddy Theo Deleeuw in NZ whose block is cracked and unrepaiarlbe after having restored a very nice 526 Phaeton...Brother Theo now owes the Yank ..BIG TIME hahah

Posted on: 2010/5/12 19:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved