Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

So I bought another Packard.....
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Its a 1957 Clipper Touring Sedan. I've noticed that it appears I will have a more difficult time finding parts for this than my '53 Cavalier! Anyway, I keep coming across references that the tail lights are merely holdovers from '56. If so, will these fit my '57? Its missing both rear brake and back up lenses. Also, I'll be looking for glass, seems the only window in the whole car that doesn't need replacing is the rear. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Nietche said "That which does not kill us makes us strong". I think by the time I finish with this car I'll be a friggin Charles Atlas! Thanks everybody,

Scott

Posted on: 2009/10/20 0:29
 Top  Print   

Re: So I bought another Packard.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
scottie wrote: Its a 1957 Clipper Touring Sedan........ Anyway, I keep coming across references that the tail lights are merely holdovers from '56. If so, will these fit my '57? Its missing both rear brake and back up lenses.......Scott

Scott,

Congratulations!

I'm no expert, but I believe these rear lights are a sought after item and don't come cheap.

Posted on: 2009/10/20 0:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Some would say you bought a Studebaker (Laughs). Congratulations, there weren't many 1957s made in any case.

Suggest you join the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum and ask there, many knowledgeable and helpful folks who will be delighted to assist you.

Maybe Studebaker International can assist too, if not they may be able to point you in the right direction.

When you consider that the 1957/58 "Packards" were basically tarted up Studebakers, I feel sure that many parts including glass are available.

Just ask and see what happens.

Best of luck and don't forget to send Mal a photo and details for his records.

Posted on: 2009/10/20 5:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The lenses can be purchased somewhat reasonably, it's the whole housing, in good condition (nice, pit-free chrome, shiny) that costs the big bucks, thanks to the street rod crowd, who love to graf them on to big-3 buckets, after inserting the belly-button SBC engine.

Posted on: 2009/10/20 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Scott

Glad to hear another Clipper Town Sedan has found an appreciative owner. As you probably know, these are controversial cars among Packard owners. For various views, see the posting "Are '57-'58 Packards real Packards?"

In my view, they're as real a '57 Packard as we'll ever have, an historic fact of life and worthy of restoration and preservation.

On the restoration parts availability, it should be easier than Detroit Packards. The main thing you have to keep in mind is the car is completely a '57 Studebaker. As was suggested, join the Studebaker Driver's Club as well for parts and mechanical advice resources. In fact there is more interest in and acceptance of these cars in the SDC than in most Packard club (sorry to say, but it seems to be true).

On such parts as the windshield, you'll find they are interchangable with all 1955 1/2 through 1958 Studebaker sedans and wagon bodied cars, Hawks excluded. The '57 Town Sedan and '58 Packard sedan are built on the Studebaker Y-body with the 120.5" wb chassis, shared with the President Classic. This body differs from the W-bodied sedans on 116.5 wb in the rear door, which are 4 inches longer and have vent windows.
Consulting a body parts catalog will show you how they are differ, but it is mostly all trim, on the major units, where holes were punched for the trim. The modifications to create the character lines on the rear fenders are stamped overlays welded to the standard Studebaker quarter panels. This area is particularly rust-prone in most parts of the country. Even those part are/were available NOS from SASCO.

Mechancially, the car is the same as '57 President with the Golden Hawk supercharged 289 ci V-8 and heavy duty automatic. The engine is the standard Studebaker V8 found in all their V8 cars from 1951-1964 in various displacements. It is a good rugged unit with fine parts availability.

Hope all this helps, post a picture or two of the car when you have a chance. If I can help, contact me through this website, I'll be glad to render whatever help I can or point you in the right direction

Steve

Posted on: 2009/10/20 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Good source of information on these cars is the manuals which are all avaiable on this web. This is easy way to find parts that interchange with Studebaker and Packard and Clipper if you do a cross check there are many trim parts which are 55 56 Packard and Clipper used on the 57 Clippers.
If we can help the Packard info site is just a click away.
The Studebaker venders have parts including tail light and parking lenses.
Sasco had rear quarters good price compared to body work down side was the shipping. Sasco has been purchased by Studebaker International check out their web site.
Personel opion but the 57 Clipper is the best looking love the taillights and chrome/stainless trim
Mal are you feeling ill as you failed to mention the owner registry? Not to step on Mals toes but post picture please

Posted on: 2009/10/20 13:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
acolds wrote:......Mal are you feeling ill as you failed to mention the owner registry? Not to step on Mals toes but post picture please

Al,

I'm taking a different tack on the Owner Registry because apparently not everyone is comfortable with my usual salutation followed by a request to include their Packard there. See this thread -https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3684&forum=8
In the near future I will be drafting and posting a FAQ about adding cars to the Registry and from time-to-time will also stir up a general request. And I reserve the right to jump in at any time if I see fit in the circumstances. But for now there is the link in my signature to my post in the General Forum about adding your Packard to the Owner Registry. All that said, time to resume normal transmission, bearing in mind Rule 4.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 4:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Ok guys, here is a pic of the '57 Clipper. She's not in the greatest shape, but the body is REAL good. There is one major rust hole behind the driver side rear wheel about the size of a golf ball. She has been rear ended though, damage to the tail lights (AARRGGHH!) and the trunk lid is pushed in a bit. I'm torn between putting her up for sale as is or for parts. I don't have the werewithall to restore this car, but I didn't want to see it just go to a crush yard either.

Attach file:

jpg  (163.86 KB)
1741_4adf0f1cec837.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/10/21 8:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Scottie--good to see that this car is going to a loving home, Look forward to seeing it pretty one day.
With a name like "Scottie" you'll fit right in with the Studebaker crowd, They are very Scotsman-like, in an economic sense.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 9:00
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

beej8508
See User information
Too bad you aren't closer to Spokane...

I would put the engine/transmission to good use in my '57.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.12 KB)
920_4adf46560b3b1.jpg 640X262 px

Posted on: 2009/10/21 12:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved