Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

YOM License plate frame
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I didn't like the look of the metal tags California DMV supplied for the month and year stickers when you regestered YOM plates. Had a machinists friend of mine make a frame that looked like a dealer frame with recesses at the top for the stickers. The one I have is a one of a kind. I'm trying to get him to produce these for sale. They are NC milled out of a piece of aluminum. The radius's are copied from a dealer frame I have. The plate is recessed into the back of the frame as it would be in a dealer frame.

My question is would there be a market for these and if so how much would you think they would bring? I have discussed this with several people at car shows and have felt that somewhere between $125.00 and $150.00 isn't out of line.

These could be made to fit the smaller tags as well. California went to the smaller tags in 1956. Mine has PACKARD milled into it at the top center. Any car name, or anything else for that fact, could be milled into the frame.

I have attached a picture of the frame.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.84 KB)
738_4ae28c9c4917a.jpg 1280X857 px

Posted on: 2009/10/24 0:13
 Top  Print   

Re: YOM License plate frame
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Looks like there isn't any interest. That answers my question.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 10:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob, you posted at 10pm at night, and then again at 8am in the morning. Not everyone is hanging around here late on a Friday night. Need to give it more soak time!

Posted on: 2009/10/24 10:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
You're right. Just thought with over 80 people looking at the post someone would have said something.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 11:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with Kev on the time frame. I rather like the frame & would be interested but don't have the type license plate on either of my cars that would need or work with it.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 11:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Bob -

Though, I don't mean to speak for everyone, I haven't been able to check in daily in some time. That said, let me offer a perspective from afar.

Your custom frame looks nice, but I'm not sure how well it would be received out here, as I believe PA state law requires annual renewal stickers to be affixed to the plate - not a detachable frame. PA antique plates, however, are issued for the life of ownership and don't get any sticker. While PA hasn't approved use of YOM plates, not everyone may go that route even if it becomes available.

As for price, I understand that a lot of time goes into design and that the equipment and craftsmanship needed to produce an item like this doesn't come cheaply, but I'd personally rather put that kind of money into other parts that my cars need. You have to consider pricing of other frames available out there.

I have a couple of the adjustable, die-cast, chrome-plated, S-P accessory license plate frames for my V8s that were run back in the 1990s from original tooling for $63 then, but those may be NLA, now. Mounted up front, those frames looks awkward, but PA only issues plates for the rear. While I now have a novelty plate mounted up front on the Carib, I used a plain frame that's commonly available in the aftermarket.

For earlier years, Packard offered a multi-piece, chrome-plated frame made of formed sheet metal (tubular in cross-section); IIRC, it was spring-loaded and self-sizing. That feature was important because license plates came in different sizes from various states and over the years, and that may come into play with owners that are using YOM plates. That adjustable frame was not exclusive to Packard, but also offered by other brands. I believe Kanter had them in NOS, decades ago, but I believe these have since been repro'd by others. I've seen them offered in recent years for about $35-40.

Hopefully, we'll hear some additional opinions from others, in due time.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 14:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob,

I think part of the problem may be that those early California plates are not the same size as the plates in other states. If you make a generic version (without the Packard Script), or make "Ford", "Chevy" version then I bet you could sell them to folks in California with other makes via Hemming's or other multi-make publications.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 16:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Bob - I think the frame looks pretty sharp. Why don't you test it on Ebay to test the value? You can reach a global market that way and you may get hits for other cars types as well. One major plus for me is that it's made in the USA. If you can customize the script for year and model (might be tight on space) that would be interesting. Good luck and appreciate the entrepreneur spirit.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 16:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The frame looks nice. Is the text "Packard" milled in with a CNC program? If so you might be able to make "Earl C. Anthony Packard" frames, or "Noll motors" or other West coast dealership names, or just about any dealer name.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
The frame looks nice. Is the text "Packard" milled in with a CNC program? If so you might be able to make "Earl C. Anthony Packard" frames, or "Noll motors" or other West coast dealership names, or just about any dealer name.

Yes, the name is milled with the CNC mill. Anything can be substituted there or it could be just left blank. My opinion about putting Earl C. Anthony on the frame is that it would really not be original.

To answer some other questions. Yes I am only familiar with the rules for YOM plates in California. Here in Calif, even up to 1969, the stickers are not to be affixed to the plate itself. The year sticker on the plate has to match the year of the car. This is somewhat of a problem due to the fact that there are no new stickers out there. The year stickers have to be removed from discarded plates and re-gummed. The current month and year stickers can not be stuck to the plates.

As far as the size of the frame: They can be made in any size you need. After 1962 all plates were the same size. That made the car manufacturers happy. They could now create the recess, or what ever, that would work in all the states.

Quote:
For earlier years, Packard offered a multi-piece, chrome-plated frame made of formed sheet metal (tubular in cross-section); IIRC, it was spring-loaded and self-sizing.

These are not intended as just a generic frame. Of corse many plain frames are available. These are only a way to some what hide the stickers that you can not stick on the plate.

As far as them looking funny on the front: They are intended for the rear plate where you would need month and year stickers. The dimensions are copied from an old dealer frame. At first glance they look like any dealer frame. That's what's nice. You don't see the metal tags sticking up above the plate and interfering with the trunk lid.

Posted on: 2009/10/26 12:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved