Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

auto choke on 1934 1103
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi all, I need some info on how the auto choke works and how to set it correctly.
My choke does not seem to be working correctly as the car has become difficult to start and all the electics etc are ok. When it starts the the tickover is very slow and if you give it more gas the car cuts out.
Looking forward to your replies
Terry

Posted on: 2009/10/28 12:47
 Top  Print   

Re: auto choke on 1934 1103
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, years back CCCA published a very nice article on the proper setup of these Stromberg Model C chokes, and from my own experience they are just superb units.

Make a rudimental check of the choke operation first. With a cold engine not running, depress and release the accelerator once; with the air cleaner removed the choke valve should be closed (or at least partially closed depending on ambient temperature) and it should take slight finger pressure to open it. With the engine hot and idling, it should be fully open and take slight finger pressure to begin to push it closed. If you find this to be the case, chances are your problems are elsewhere. If you don't find this to be the case, perhaps adjustment is needed, but also check the copper/mesh/copper sandwich filter beneath the unit to make sure it is clean enough for vacuum to reach the unit. Also check of course for binding or bent linkage, or damage within the unit. The 1934 Service Letters have a section on the proper adjustment, and I believe the 1935-1936 shop manual also has it as this unit was used for quite a few years on both Eights and Super Eights and Twelves.

I had originally attached the CCCA info, but I believe it is copyright protected so I've deleted it, but will email to you privately if you provide me again with your email in a PM. Let me know how you make out with this.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks Dave,
Your always getting me out of trouble. I'll give your suggestion a go and let you know how I get on.
I have sent you a PM
Terry

Posted on: 2009/10/28 14:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Three cheers for Dave, whose logical, useful, practical advice on a variety of subjects having to do with the Eleventh Series Packards are among the most valuable items posted on this Forum. Gunnison.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Well said Jim, I fully agree
T.C.
Dave I managed to read the info you sent me and adjusted choke and carb to suit and the car starts fine again now.
Terry

Posted on: 2009/11/3 3:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks to both of you for the nice words, and I'm glad I had the information to help you and that the problem is resolved.

Posted on: 2009/11/3 9:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved