Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

57 - 58 Packard (Packardbaker)
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
After reading this page for a while I will ask a question I know most real [Packard people) due not consider the 57 58 real Packards but I'm thinking of getting one I have a lot of Studebaker knowledge and practical experience dating back to late 1950s.After talking to my brother he mentioned the fact that we have quite a few Studebaker parts to help with a Packard/ Studebaker. This group appears to me to be open minded and caring more about their cars and fellow members than most of the other sites. Helping each other not about image. I like all cars but due seem attracted to orphans such as Studebaker, Packard, Kaiser , Henry J. Oldsmobile, and Amc

Posted on: 2007/9/15 19:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 57 - 58 Packard (Packardbaker)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 2 cents say go for it. Personally, I'm partial to the 57 because to me it was very well done and a nice car under the circumstances it came into being while the 58's were just a bit too much and kinda broke the continuity. You're right that some might raise an eyebrow but so what-it says Packard on it. Very sorry now that I didn't buy a 57 P. a few years ago when the opportunity came by. Am sure you'll be welcome--

Posted on: 2007/9/15 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Did the corporation have the legal right to put the Packard name on an automobile in 1957 or 1958? The answer is - Of course they did. We don't look down on 57-58 or 48-50 or V8s or any other Packard. All are welcome here. Many of us V8 owners remember when some prewar owners turned up their nose at us. I personally like many Studes but have little knowledge to share. There are several who frequent this forum who may offer you a valid opinion. If you like the car and the price is reasonable, I say buy it. Your Stude knowledge will stand you in good stead.

Posted on: 2007/9/15 22:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
acolds -

Welcome to this site and forum!

Many Packard folk, even those who appreciate the postwar cars, don't seem to have much interest in the 57th and 58th Series, as they have very little in common with the Series that preceded them.

To me, they are little more than a curiosity - what with some of the parts SouthBend recycled from the Detroit parts bins. I mean, they were primarly Studebaker-engineered and -built vehicles dressed up to resemble Packards. Studebaker enthusiasts seem to have more interest in them.

It should come as little surprise, then, that owners of the StudePackards seem to find more help in Studebaker circles - in terms of service technical information and parts.

Yet, I have previously discussed this very situation privately with BigKev and suggested that, if enough visitors expressed interest, he could put up a "Packardbaker (1957-1958)" Forum, and if enough people support it and are willing to contribute scans of information, photos, etc., then so be it.

A new bunch of like-minded owners who are working together to keep similar vehicles on the road certainly won't interfere with what owners of other Series are doing here. Yet, you would have to give the site time to grow in that new regard.

Posted on: 2007/9/19 20:07
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Pac-man Don
See User information
Just to let you know i would be interested in seeing a 57&58 forum on this site. Hoping it will happen soon as i have not really seen any sites for Packardbaker people to share info. Thanks Don

Posted on: 2007/10/21 5:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Don, are you the same Ohio Stude-Packard fellow I talked with near Canton? Do you have a 54 Pacific on the internet right now?

Posted on: 2007/10/21 12:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Pac-man Don
See User information
Randy you came and looked at my caribbeans. yes i have a 54 pacific on ebay.

Posted on: 2007/10/22 7:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
You said you have 57 Packard for sale would it be possible for me to see it in person from your reply to Randy you are located in Ohio ? If possible contact me at ackish@comcast.net I'm able to be avaiable almost any time being retired

Posted on: 2007/11/3 22:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
For the benefit of anyone interested in this thread in the General Forum, know that our webmaster, BigKev, established a new forum, on October 21, 2007, for Packardbakers (1957 - 58).

Posted on: 2007/11/4 13:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved