Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 31 »

DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi all,

This issue has been raised time & time again... DO NOT TRUST Bendix Treadle Vac. I got my unit rebuilt about 8 months ago and coming down a hill today (Friday 13th) the unthinkable happened, yes they failed, have a look at the attached pics, I don't know about you but I will never be driving a car with BTV. May I saw I am lucky to be alive.

I know what Eric will say ... "Told you so"

Attach file:

jpg  (50.08 KB)
24_4afd2619a6f89.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  (50.03 KB)
24_4afd264b74d04.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2009/11/13 4:29
 Top  Print 

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/13 5:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Yikes! Matthew

Posted on: 2009/11/13 5:25
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
May I ask Who rebuilt it? If you don't want to post it online then please PM me - thank you.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 5:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Randy, I got the unit rebuilt over here in Australia, but a local guy who has rebuilt them in the past. He is quite knowledgeable and checked the unit thoroughly and replaced all the parts. The unit had been in the car for about 8 months since installing it and hadn't failed me until today.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 6:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packard34

You have my full condolence for this misfoturne and my understanding for disenchanment.

Can u give us some details as to what happened?????

Did the brake pedal simply go to the floor with NO brake effect whatsoever???

Did pumping the brake pedal serve no brake effect???

Are u willing to to do some dissassembly to analyze why it failed????

I noticed the left front wheel apears to be broken off at the king pin???????

It would be most beneficial to everyone, including yourself if we can determine exactly what went wrong with hte unit.

Is it possible that perhaps a brake hose or brake line ruptured?????

One thing is for sure. We certainly don't want this to happen again so precise determination of exactly WHAT PIECE in the system failed is critical to keeping such a beautiful Caribbean from any further mishaps as major as this one that just occured.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 7:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
first, i am sorry for the misfortune and i am glad you are okay.

but, i can't help but wonder....why did you not pull the e-brake to stop the car?

Posted on: 2009/11/13 10:36
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
He ..........replaced all the parts.

Cars can be replaced and people can't, so first and foremost, glad you're OK. Unless your TV rebuilder actually manufactured some parts, it's unlikely that he replaced ALL of them as there are quite a few parts that are not included in rebuild kits and not necessarily readily available. That's a good reason to use a rebuilder who actually makes the key parts.

Like others, we'd like to hear some follow-up on just exactly what caused the failure.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 10:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I've said it before and I'll say it again right here:

The BTV is a fatal accident waiting to happen!

Some of you guys can post-mortem the particular failure mode all you want. That will not change the fact that there is only one real solution: replace the damn thing with something else! There are at least 5 different aftermarket setups used by members of this forum. If you still have a BTV, you really have no excuse.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/11/13 12:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
replace the damn thing with something else! There are at least 5 different aftermarket setups used by members of this forum. If you still have a BTV, you really have no excuse.

Until somebody puts a kit together with brackets/booster/master cylinder/hardware etc. the BTV will continue it attempted murder spree without remorse. It is much like the '55-'56 Oil pump retrofit fix. If there was a kit with plate/pump/hardware/ etc. everyone would have one.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 12:25
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved