Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if it is such a horrible setup, then why did they build them with these things? was this something common on these cars back then, if so why didn't the sales suffer, why wasn't it documented (or was it), were there no recalls on this unit (did recalls exist back then) etc...etc...

i mean what makes it so bad now and just fine back in 55/56? doesn't make sense to me.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 14:23
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mat,

So sorry to hear about the brake failure on the Carib, but glad you're OK.

I note Keith's other questions Quote:
PackardV8 wrote:......I noticed the left front wheel apears to be broken off at the king pin???????........Is it possible that perhaps a brake hose or brake line ruptured?????..........
What other damage was caused? With the front wheel now pointing sideways was there other suspension damage? And what about body damage?

On the bright side, with the '34 coming together again, you shouldn't be without Packard transportation for too long!

Posted on: 2009/11/13 14:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
if it is such a horrible setup, then why did they build them with these things? was this something common on these cars back then, if so why didn't the sales suffer, why wasn't it documented (or was it), were there no recalls on this unit (did recalls exist back then) etc...etc...

<p>During the 1950s, the BTV was used by all GM, Edsel, Lincoln, Mercury, Hudson, Nash and even Mercedes in addition to Packard. By 1959, EVERY ONE OF THEM (except Packard who was OB by then, of course) had abandoned the BTV and superseded it with something better. What does that tell you?</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/13 15:32
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/13 15:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i wasn't defending it, i was just trying to understand it.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 16:12
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't intend to participate in yet another (our thousandth?) rehash of the TreadleVac situation, but I still feel there is some fact that hasn't surfaced. Now no one can argue against the dual master cylinder providing a margin of safety that singles don't have; yet a single master cylinder system was adequate for more than a half-century and considered an improvement over the prior mechanical systems - though the improvement wasn't necessarily reliability, it was cost, equalization and ease of adjustment. We also should remember than in those years your car probably saw a grease rack once-a-month and impending problems were more likely to be spotted.

Yet perhaps 30 or 40 million or more cars used the Bendix TV between 1953 and 1962, and as far as I know they were never subject to service bulletins or similar actions by Packard or anyone else and were the state-of-the art unit. Yet of the cars that used them, Packard, Lincoln, Mercury, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Nash & Hudson (I believe) and Mercedes-Benz, it seems only Packard owners have any passion for the subject and encounter problems. I'd really like to understand why that is so.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
it seems only Packard owners have any passion for the subject and encounter problems. I'd really like to understand that.

Agreed. I really wonder if it has something to do with the mounting position or location. The few pictures I have seen of other brands seem to show the thing higher and in a more level position.

Who was the fellow that had been in contact with one of the brake companies who said they could mount a modern unit in the same place? Any further word there?

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Gerd. I guess since nothing new posted in a couple of months no progress or interest.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
The few pictures I have seen of other brands all show the thing higher and in a more level position.

<p>Then maybe it is sedimentation and the angle of the dangle?</p>
<p>Jeez! Looking for the reason why the Anasazi went extinct might be more fruitful.</p>
<p>Replace the damn thing and be done with it.</p>

<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:57
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved