Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Hershey 2007
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Joel -

I understand that clubs hold shows, primarily, for members to display their cars and sell parts. I should have remembered reading in a meet program, some years ago, that entering a vehicle in the show at Hershey was restricted to AACA members only, but I have been to other AACA regional events where entry was open to the public.

What surprised me was that one had to be an AACA member to sell goods (or services) in the swap meet field or a vehicle in the car corral. It's kinda hard to believe that every one of the many vendors in a swap meet of this size is a member of AACA, but I suppose it's possible. However, I've sold parts at an AACA regional event without being a member (but did a whole lot better with eBay). I've also talked to more than one owner with a car for sale in the corral at Hershey who were NOT members of AACA, but perhaps they rode in on the coattails of someone who was a member.

While ads for this event clearly state that it is open to the public, I guess that means only as a spectator or shopper, but I can accept that. However, while the AACA promotes entry as free to the public, it'll cost ya $10 a day to park (on a worthless piece of bottomland) within reasonable walking distance of the fields. That cost is at least double the gate fee at privately-run swap meets in the Penn-Ohio area, where parking is usally free. Though I have to admit that gate fees may be levied per person rather than per vehicle, that's a moot point for me as I prefer to travel solo.

Then, I saw a discussion in one of the AACA forums some time ago lamenting that so many people attend Fall Hershey aren't members or do not become members. Did those people ever stop to consider how big that event would - or, more properly, wouldn't - be without the non-member public in attendance? How many vendors would bother coming if attendance was restricted to members-only?

Yet, I digress...

I've been to so many shows that looking at restored cars just doesn't do much for me anymore. The number one reason I went to Hershey was to shop for parts, literature, and other artifacts related to my cars, which include more than just Packards. Vendors used to be more open to negotiate on price and I used to save enough money on S&H by shopping at Hershey, that it actually offest the cost of going, but not now - with what's going on with hotel prices, gas, parking, etc. While there are some things I'd like to have that I might only find at Hershey, it seems like I have less discretionary time and budget with each passing each year. (I'll chalk that up to the greedy economic policies under the current paradigm.)

Point is, going to Hershey is just not the thrill it used to be for me. If I venture out east again, it will probably be for Carlisle. Now, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but make them aware of some significant pitfalls - not just the potential for rain.

Meanwhile, here's hoping things will change for the better in years ahead. If so, maybe I'll give Hershey another try.

Regardless, I look forward to posts from members here on how the event was, shopping experiences, and so on - good or bad.

Posted on: 2007/10/2 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Robert, It was good to meet you at Hershey and see the great photos of your 1956 400. Hope you had a great time.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 8:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Joel,

It was great to meet you and John. I thought your tent layout was great and hope you had a productive show. I really enjoyed talking to you guys.

I had a great trip and enjoyed my three days there immensely! Met quite a few folks in the PAC tent and covered the Corral, all the vendor fields and the Show Field on Saturday.

Already looking forward to next year!

Regards,
Robert.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Robert,

Going back to your original post, how did you at going finding accommodation? And was it at a reasonable price and reasonable distance from the action?

Reason I ask is I hope to make it there one year in the not too distant future.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 20:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Mal, should you decide to come to Hershey in the future contact me for accomodations. We stay at an older place (built in the 40s) that works just fine and is only 40% of the going rate. We have stayed there for 30+ years.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 8:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

A very kind offer, thankyou!

Posted on: 2007/10/20 15:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
I stayed at the Hampton Inn-Harrisburg West in Mechanicsburg, PA. I waited until the last almost the last minute and didn't book until about 10 days before arrival. I had a jr. suite that included a hot breakfast every morning, for $149.00 per night. The hotel was about 20 minutes from the Giant Center. The hotel is going to undergo renovations next year and will be completely non-smoking.

Posted on: 2007/10/20 23:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
For any of you that are considering a trip to Hershey next year (10/8-12/2008), several hotels are already sold out. Most of the hotels in the area offer reservation request forms during Hershey for the next year, and fill up very quickly.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 22:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved