Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electric fuel Pump
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Might as well crack this subject open.....

Bill Obrien posted having an electric fuel pump installed on his "36 Packard Running Poorly" thread

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3733&forum=1&post_id=39239#forumpost39239

I see Max Merritt shows an electric Fuel Pump (6 volt motor) kit for $125 available....

Any one have any experience with this or precautions?

Attach file:

jpg  (21.45 KB)
1537_4b000ef56ab1f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/15 9:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Electric fuel Pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My opinion is that is a lot of money for what can be bought from other suppliers for much less! They are listed on ebay now for about $48.
Personally I really don't see the need for one as the original mechanical pumps give long and reliable service.
If you do install one and plan to use it as your main pump and do not run the gas line to bypass the mechanical pump be aware that if the diaphram on the mechanical pump breaks gas will flow directly into the crankcase. Another consideration is that(heaven forbid) the car is involved in an accident the pump may still be running if the engine has stopped and the gas line is ruptured. Modern cars with electric pumps have a switch that shuts the pump off in event of a collision. I have an electric pump like this on my Packard to help me start the car after sitting for long periods but never use it as my main pump for the reason stated. If in the event of the mechanical pump failing I have made up a bypass kit (rubber hose and fittings) that I made up to bypass the mechanical pump although changing to a spare mechanical pump is just as easy.
The Packard Club website has some excellent articles on how to install an electric pump safely as was done on some makers of fire engines many years ago.
http://www.packardclub.org/
open website and look for "Tech Tips" section on left side menu. Open Tech Tips and scroll down to "Electric Fuel Pump"

Posted on: 2009/11/15 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what else is included in kit but seems a bit high for what is shown. Great Plains Packards region of PAC advertises an AC 6v pump with fittings, mountings and instructions for $75 postpaid in latest Cormorant News Bulletin. Summit racing has a Carter GP4259 6 volt rotary with all the mounting for $99-- although that may not be satisfactory for your needs since it would also require some extra pieces and plumbing if you are just wanting something inline to use with the existing mechanical pump for a backup.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
BigKev-

How about an article in FAQ regarding this? This looks like a good succinct answer to start with, Dave did a good job of putting it all together. Maybe the line diagram you did last year showing the bypass.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 10:18
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
I am at the juncture now of running a new gas line up front. At this point I don't have the OEM fuel pump, don't have carb installed, still trying to resolve my pickup tube in the original fuel transmitter. I do have a very clean tank, new straps, and a new muffler system installed. So the gas side is up for grabs at this point, while I run new brake lines to the rear, so we can reinstall the body shell next weekend.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Are you thinking of replacing the mechanical pump with the electric? I did that on my '48, but I ran the power wire through the ignition switch so the power is off when the key's off. I see that one has a toggle switch, hence my statement.

You can either leave the stock pump on, but not hooked up to anything, or you can buy a fuel pump block off plate that fits any Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler engine, as they all use the same mounting. (Except for 351C, 351M, and 400) I put on on my '48 that fits a small block Chevy, and it even came with a gasket.

If you want a good quality pump, I recommend calling Allan Rich here in Wichita. He sells them for the local Packard club as a club project. They're 6V, Delco, and look just like the one in your pic, minus the switch. IIRC, they're around $50-$60. Send me a pm if you want his #, and I'll get you in contact with him.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 16:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
thanks for the info; I'll see how it develops. I am not close to starting the engine yet....but preparing ahead. Wasn't aware of the fuel pump block off plate. I see several on summitt racing. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/11/16 11:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved