Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 106

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heat Riser Valve
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Mlinar
See User information
Curious, what position is the heat riser vavle counter balance, Up or Down when the valve is opened. Thanks Tom

Posted on: 2009/11/18 15:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Heat Riser Valve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Down. Heat lessens the tension on the bimetallic spring and allows the counterweight to overcome the spring tension.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 15:43
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
another question on this subject: mine is totally frozen; I see that there is a replacement kit available for the shaft, etc... but not quite sure how to remove the frozen/rusted shaft...any suggestions? Looks like the shaft is in a bushing on each end. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/11/18 16:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This thread is in the V8 section but I think you're asking about one of the earlier L-head engines - generally you have to remove and separate the intake from the exhaust manifold, and access the damper valve thru the heat box.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 17:56
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Mlinar
See User information
Thank you Owen, I have a lot of literture on Packards, and lots of info telling about the way the riser functions, but nothing telling me which is the correct position. I need to check mine to be sure its working properly. Thanks again Appreciate your help. Tom

Posted on: 2009/11/18 18:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, glad I could be of help. If your valve is stuck open, other than some poor cold weather performance for a few minutes as the engine warms up, there are no bad consequences. But if it is stuck in the closed position, all that exhaust heat is being blasted at the base of the intake manifold with usually unpleasant consequences.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 18:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved