Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedometer correction
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
With the radials on the car the speedometer reads between 5 and 10mph fast at 65mph. Does anyone have a solution? Are different drive gears available for the transmission end?

Posted on: 2009/11/26 15:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Speedometer correction
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Different gears & adapters were available--maybe vendors still have-- & short of having speedo recalibrated to the new tire dimension probably only option. Looks like with the gap between ratios though, precision is not going to be great. Wonder how much changing by one ratio would correct.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.96 KB)
209_4b0eea5dc5e4b.jpg 796X884 px

Posted on: 2009/11/26 15:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Bob, I experience the same problem with my '47. The speedo cable is connected to the O/D unit. My solution on trips is to use the suction cup mount on my GPS unit and stick it onto the speedo glass and use the GPS as my speedometer. I have a small 6 volt to 12 Volt converter connected to the cigar lighter which is used to power 12 volt accessories including the GPS. I suppose it is a novel approach but it works for me.

Posted on: 2009/11/26 15:55

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
My solution on trips is to use the suction cup mount on my GPS unit and stick it onto the speedo glass and use the GPS as my speedometer.

That's a really neat idea. It would be accurate on the road but how is it around town in stop and go? I guess the question is how long does it take to update?

Posted on: 2009/11/26 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've been able to select radials that have an outside diameter that is relatively close to the OEM tires on my V8s - with less than 5MPH deviation at highway speeds. However, I believe this is an error of percentage rather than absolutes - that is, the deviation is smaller at lower speeds. Of course, I would rather have a speedo read a little fast than slow; most law enforcement won't bother you for going only 5MPH over the posted limit.

In years past, when swapping to different size tires on late model cars (typically, just one size larger), it wasn't too hard to determine what alternate driven (aka - pencil) gear to install - provided you knew the tooth count of the both speedo gears in your tranny and that of the available and compatible replacement gears and could do the math. In fact, this situation was common enough that I kept a stock of new driven gears of just about every tooth count when I first worked in a GM dealership, 25+ years ago. I also kept an "exchange" inventory of take-offs to swap out or just try for customers. However, availability of replacement gears these days for 50+ year old cars could be a problem.

Occasionally, when we couldn't get close enough by swapping pencil gears, we turned to a ratio adapter for correction. Visually, the unit was a small, squarish, die-cast housing with fittings on each end that allowed it to be mounted, inline, at the tailshaft - between the cable and the sleeve/adapter for the driven gear. These adapters could be ordered in specific ratios, but usually in small increments - intended for fine tuning. If you search the 'net for "speedometer ratio adapters", you should find suppliers of custom-built units, but be forewarned that they are more expensive than a pencil gear.

Swapping gears or installing an adapter isn't difficult work, but you better take good notes on observed vs. actual readings over a range of speeds and get your math right to ensure that you get the right part.

Yet, before you go to all this trouble, make sure you have a tire size that is as close as possible to original for your car or a factory optional size (provided you have the correct gear(s) for the latter) and it's a size that you plan on staying with for a long time.

Also, the above corrections assume that the speedo head itself is in good working order. For example, a speedo head the exhibits roughly the same MPH deviation over the normal working range will NOT be corrected by swapping gears or installing a ratio adapter.

Posted on: 2009/11/26 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
most law enforcement won't bother you for going only 5MPH over the posted limit.

It's been my experience that law enforcement won't bother too much with old cars in general, as long as you're not driving crazy. I remember meeting the KHP on I-135 doing over 80 in my Patrician, he looked at me and kept on going. I figured he just didn't believe that old car was going that fast!

Posted on: 2009/11/26 19:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
My solution on trips is to use the suction cup mount on my GPS unit and stick it onto the speedo glass and use the GPS as my speedometer.

That's a really neat idea. It would be accurate on the road but how is it around town in stop and go? I guess the question is how long does it take to update?

The GPS calculates speed almost instantaneously. The Garmin model 530 I have has a screen mode that actually shows a small speedometer gauge and needle and also calculates miles driven and other information.

Posted on: 2009/11/26 20:11

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved