Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hard starting after not running for a week or so.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
My 48 is reluctant to start after being parked for a week or so. I have read several messages concerning hard starting after storage. Is there any way to solve the problem of gas leaking or evaporating out of the carburetor bowels, mine is bone dry. I would rather not go the electric fuel pump route.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 15:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Hard starting after not running for a week or so.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Well if the problem is simply gas evaporating from the carb bowl you could keep a small squeeze bottle full of gas handy to prime the engine. Remove air cleaner and squirt an ounce or two down the throat of the carb and it should start right up. I used to use this method before installing an electric inline type pump.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Thats what I have been known to do. Loosen the aircleaner nut....squirt a little fuel onto the recess in the air cleaner...watch it go down.......give it a moment then fire it up. It usually picks right up.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 17:07
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
What is wrong with cranking the engine to get gas pumped and oil circulating before starting? This is what I do after my '47 Custom has been sitting for a long period: I crank the engine in short bursts until I see oil pressure registering on the gauge. Then, pump I the gas pedal two or three times and it starts right up. I feel it important to get oil circulating through the engine to avoid wear with a "dry" start. I would rather have wear on the starter than the engine. Note: I do not completely release the accelerator pedal when first cranking the engine, just release the pedal enough to stop the starter each time. Try it.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 18:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I had the same problem on my '48. I put an electric fuel pump on it, turn the key on for three seconds, then bump the key. It fires up every time, and 99% of the time I don't need to pump the pedal to get it to start. An electric fuel pump is a real good idea, especially with today's quickly evaporating gas. (because of the ethanol)

Posted on: 2009/11/27 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
JW: The advice you have given about starting a car equipped with a carb is what every one should do.

You have described the method I have used for the better than 20 years that I have owned my 66 Chevelle. When I would get my Chevelle out of storage after a long winter nap, I would alway pull the coil wire and turn the engine several times to the oil pressure built up. After doing that and connecting the coil back up all I would have to do is pump the pedal about three time and it would always start.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/27 21:36
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
After my 55 Pat sits for a couple of weeks I spray some electronic tuner cleaner in the top of the distribution cap and wipe it out, it dries instantly, cleaning the end of the rotor always helps also, she starts on the second try. I know we don't usually like to talk about foreign cars but my 1968 MGB would never start in the winter and being too lazy to take off the air cleaner I got a plastic squeeze bottle with a long neck from the science lab and drilled two holes in the air cleaner, stuck in the pipe and gave it a couple of shots of gas and covered them with black tape. It would usually start, unfortunately the car never caught on fire.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 11:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
JW and John, I agree that building oil pressure is important when first starting a car. When starting the car after the winter storage I always remove the spark plugs and put a small amount of oil down each hole then turn the engine over until the oil gauge registers some pressure before reinstalling the plugs. I also put oil down each cylinder before storing the car. Without priming it with the electric pump after only a few days of idleness my Packard cranks a long time before starting. It starts almost instantly with the pump. My feeling is that the bearings probably retain a coating of oil for a few days and as long as the engine isn't reved above idle before the oil pressure is at normal them little harm will come to the engine. A pre oiler would be the best solution but I have never heard of a 6 volt version. Just my .02 cents Canadian on the matter.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Clipper47, your two cents are always welcome, whether Canadian or U.S. Given the world monetary system these day, especially the mess the U.S. is in, the Canadian and U.S currencies are just about equal. We used to go to the Formula 1 grand prix in Montreal in the mid-90s - Really enjoyed what the U.S. dollar could buy back then. I would go again, regardless of the exchange rate. Love that city.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 18:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
JW: The advice you have given about starting a car equipped with a carb is what every one should do.

You have described the method I have used for the better than 20 years that I have owned my 66 Chevelle. When I would get my Chevelle out of storage after a long winter nap, I would alway pull the coil wire and turn the engine several times to the oil pressure built up. After doing that and connecting the coil back up all I would have to do is pump the pedal about three time and it would always start.

John F. Shireman

Yes, good advice. I also do that following oil changes to lube the system. 9 years ago, I bought a Ford with a 351M engine with low miles. It ran fine and still does, but the first time I changed the oil, it knocked for about 20 seconds when I started it after filling the oil. Later that day, I was looking through one of my Ford shop manuals and found that they recommended pulling the coil wire and cranking till oil light goes out.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 0:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved