Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Which Engine Oil?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Hi all,
I know this subject has probably been covered and don't want to waste a lot of time on it. But, I've done a search and can't seem to find anything that will help me make a decision on which engine oil to use in my 52 Packard 300.I am a fairly new Packard owner.
I have purchased Rotella T 15w-40 and was going to change the oil here pretty soon, when someone recommended using Castrol 20w-50 with an oil additive.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Chuck in AZ

Posted on: 2007/10/3 9:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Which Engine Oil?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have been using Rotella in my '47 for two years and it seems to fine. My one concern is that the 15/40 is now rated as a CJ4 and SM oil and I am worried about the absence of "zinc" (ZDDP) which I have read can cause damage to flat tappet valve lifters. I am considering using a cheaper brand that is rated SL or using a additive with the Rotella like GM EOS oil fortifier. If you Google the topic you will find all kinds of information and I suppose misinformation on the subject.

Posted on: 2007/10/3 10:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I was told long ago to use non-detergent oil in an engine built before detergent oils became available when you are certain the engine has never been apart. The thinking behind this is that there may be lots of goo attached to the the sidewalls of the engine that might break free and clog up your oil pump screen/intake. After a thorough rebuild it is fine to use detergent oil.
I do not offer this as gospel truth however (refreshing for a change, isn't it?) and welcome other wisdom to the discussion.

Posted on: 2007/10/3 10:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I certainly agree that you should refrain from using detergent oil in a dirty engine. But just routine maintenance of our Packards should include (as the factory recommended) routinely removing the oil pan and cleaning it, the pump intake, etc. The 300 referenced in this post could have hydraulic lifters which pretty much require detergent oil. As the to presence of the greatly reduced amounts of ZDDP in such oils as Rotella T, Delo, etc., I think the jury will be out for some time yet, but there is plenty of this (API CI-4 or CI-4+, but not CJ-4) to be found on shelves.

Posted on: 2007/10/3 10:18
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Thanks for the info guys. The other concern mentioned to me concerning the use of Rotella, was that it may have more of a tendency to leak at the seals. Don't know this for a fact, just what was told to me. I will be dropping the pan pretty soon to get a look. Up to now, been working on safety items ..................like Brakes!

Posted on: 2007/10/3 10:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
When I got my Packard it had only been operated rarely in almost 50 years. The second owner who bought the car in 1955 apparently never once drove it in over 20 years. When After dropping the oil pan (always a good idea on an old engine!) and cleaning out the heavy sludge I found there, the engine also had a serious main seal leak. After switching to Rotella 15/40 I have noticed that the seal has almost entirely stopped leaking. I attribute this more to the fact that the car is now being driven much more than in many years. There are no other seals leaks in the engine in the time I have used Rotella.

Posted on: 2007/10/3 15:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I dropped the oil pan on my '50 custom 3 weeks ago, and cleaned it out (wasn't bad maybe an 1/8 inch of sludge). Checked out the engine block interior and although there was some dark discoloration over everything there was no heavy goo buildup anywhere at all. Since I'm trying to nail down hydraulic lifter noise, I re-filled the engine with 10-30w Shell Rotella and 8oz of Seafoam. I plan to put about 500 miles on the car with the 10-30w and additive to see if anything changes with the noise. I still think I have a worn hydraulic lifter and not a stuck one but this is just the first (relatively inexpensive) step. In the first 100 miles I haven't had any oil leaks using Shell Rotella. I ultimately plan to use Rotella 15-40w. Since I don't expect to burn up the interstates or put more than 1000 miles a year on the car, I'm not going to get too excited over the zinc issue (but that's just me).

Posted on: 2007/10/4 1:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Let's hope that something to replace zinc pops up real quick. An MGB engine rebuilder on the west coast has published a couple of articles in an MG club paper telling of numerous cases of cam failure in less than 2000 miles.

What is Seafoam? Modern STP?

Bernardi

Posted on: 2007/10/5 0:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Bernardi, I have read numerous accounts on the web about engines with flat tappets having the cams ruined by use of the new SM grade oils without ZDDP. There is a long thread on the subject on the AACA Forum.
Seafoam has actually been around since the 1930's developed by an employee of Evinrude Outboard engines hence the name. It is an excellent product for cleaning carbon and gum from engines both in the gas and oil. I use it regularly in my cars to keep injectors working properly, cleaning carbon from cylinders and in the oil just before changing it in the Packard. I hope that doesn't sound like a commercial. I don't own any stock in whatever company makes it!

Posted on: 2007/10/5 8:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Clipper 47-
Thanks for the information. I'll look up Seafoam on the net.
The lifter problems I've experienced were all apparently the result of the oil pump sucking air and forming foam. That was on a couple of 55 V8's in the fifties. My most recent acquisition is also a 55. It had clicking valves, too. Rep[laced the mains and the oil pump with one rebuilt by Fred Aller. Haven't been able to drive it far enough so far to determine if the problem is solved.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2007/10/14 21:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved