Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

BigKev, Paul E. Gallagher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Is this for real?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I was browsing Packard listings on ebay and came across this 1983 Buick Riviera Packard Edition. Was it actually produced by Buick or is it a concept that someone built? It says it is only 1 of 15 ever built. With styling like that, I can see why! I did a quick Google search, but only saw this car referenced.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:26
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Re: Is this for real?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe that (Bayliff) was one of if not the first to acquire some kind of rights to use the Packard name and was going to resurrect the marque. There have been others since, equally distinctive and, IMHO, some hideous.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:50
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
There were only two of these built,

I can see the reasoning behind the limited production....

Posted on: 2009/12/1 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Wow...at first I was thinking that Buick offered a special edition. Thanks for setting me straight. For those of you who don't like the Stude built Packards...it could have been a lot worse...

Posted on: 2009/12/1 22:40
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
For those of you who don't like the Stude built Packards...it could have been a lot worse...

You mean the Packard badged Studebakers.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 0:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Right. I think the Packard badged Studes are better than the Packard badged Buicks!

Posted on: 2009/12/2 7:58
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Both the same to me.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 12:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
I am a friend of Patrick Martin and have ridden in his Bayliff many times. I have heard him repeat the entire history of Bayliff many, many times, and can answer just about any question you might have. There were only 2 of the combination coaches made. We saw the other one a couple of years ago and took pics of both cars together. However, there were definitely many more than 15 of the regular Rivieras built. He started in 1979 and built some on speculation and some when ordered. Bud Bayliff himself (who we have both talked to several times) doesn't know how many he made but guesses around 200. The last one was built within the last few years from a low mileage Riviera. He also has done a newer Mercury Cougar, Chrysler 300, Ford Crown Vic, and others as Packards.

The combination coaches were very labor intensive, and are a work of art, although an odd looking one. Since he was converting Cadillacs as well, I have no idea why he used a Riviera for the coaches.

The 1934 "reproductions" are also interesting. But with the price they are listed for (and none of them seem to sell) I'd rather buy a real Packard.

However, putting a Packard grill and weird taillights on a Riviera or Cadillac does not make it a Packard in spite of owning rights to the name. I think they look better left as Rivieras and Cadillacs.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
sad, pathetic, and a shame to the Marque.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 19:56
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved