Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Garage comfort vs work accomplished
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There was a '58 Edsel 2dr HT for sale about 3 blocks from my house last summer. I think they wanted $800 for it, it was a driver and looked pretty good. Not perfect, but a good driver. I always thought they were neat cars, but never really wanted one too bad.

The Buick's pretty, the first old car that I ever had was a '64 Wildcat, that my dad bought for $20 for me, when I was about 10 or so. The car was in good condition, and I would have kept it, but a neighbor kid shot the rear window out with a bb gun and dad decided he'd find another car instead of replacing the rear window. What a shame, the body and interior was perfect!

Posted on: 2009/12/11 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Yeah, I love my old Buick. It's my most fun car to drive. That was an abandoned car near Carlisle, PA when I started on it. Check out the "before" pic.
I use the Packard more often than the ones in the garage because it's not in as good condition as the others. It's funny, but the nicer I fix them up, the less I drive and enjoy them. Still get a few hundred to a thousand miles a year on them.

Attach file:

jpg  (121.86 KB)
1470_4b2298e14b233.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/11 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Wow, what a difference! I think those 4 door ht's are the coolest body style they ever devised. I wish Packard would have made one in the '50s, I'd be all over that like stink on...

And yes, that's how it goes. The nicer they are, the less people want to drive them. That's why I'm leaning more and more to rust and primer. At least I won't faint if there's a scratch in it.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Yes Indeed that Buick is awesome, the same reason why a both the Volga GAZ 24 is its close resembles in body style and details to the early 1960 american cars. Not sure its better the the Buick (probably is not) but I love it anyway.
I keep my cars In a old barn, I do have a garage but that one is too small, I manage to do some works there but I usually bring the car to my friends work shop because there I have
more space and tools to work whit.
I have also made a shelter wich I made in 2008, works for me.
These are not the best places to but your cars and I know that, I hope in the future I will have better conditions.
Its a lot of investing money in to it but on the other hand
the cars get in to one place and preserv better.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.22 KB)
1725_4b22b749f0a60.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (49.02 KB)
1725_4b22b76036507.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2009/12/11 16:22
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I certainly would heartily agree that the 4 door hardtop is one of the fun-est and most unique body styles ever; made only in the US as far as I know, for only a few more than 20years: the 1955 GMs to the 1978 Chryslers, unless some were produced in Australia. There was no European or Asian production, to my knowledge. Not many have survived due to the leaks and rattles inherent to the breed. This one shown herein is the subject of the work acccompished in our garage, cold weather or hot, although fume and dust producing operations are limited to open door weather. One of the neatest 4 dr hardtops ever is the 1958 DeSoto FireSweep Sportsman, recognized as a Forward Look design icon by Virgil Exner, and our current project of choice, she needs quite a bit to bring her up to snuff, but she's an original unmolested 2 owner 38K mile car... shortly it is our hope that she will be stored off-site to make room for the next victim, a '40s Packard Clipper.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.35 KB)
2116_4b22b7deef17f.jpg 300X163 px

jpg  (9.19 KB)
2116_4b22b80a9c3bd.jpg 300X225 px

Posted on: 2009/12/11 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Turbopackman wrote:
Quote:
And yes, that's how it goes. The nicer they are, the less people want to drive them. That's why I'm leaning more and more to rust and primer. At least I won't faint if there's a scratch in it.

<p>Paint it with acrylic latex house paint. I did that on the movie faux cop car because of budget constraints (like cheap as possible). It actually turned out pretty good. I believe that if you wet sanded it with 600/1200 and then sprayed on some cheap clear coat, it would be very presentable.</p>
<p>I sprayed it on to get the smoothest covering, but I've heard of people applying with rollers.</p>
<p>As to relevence to this thread about garages, I've painted both inside the garage and in the driveway. In the driveway is way better if you don't have a paint booth. Forget in the garage because the overspray makes too much of a mess.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/12/11 16:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
oh how i wish i had a garage! working out in the driveway gets miserable quick if it isnt beautiful out.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 18:10
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Off topic but this is the second car I owned a 1962 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hardtop. I sure wish I still owned it.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.60 KB)
13_4b22e08bccf18.jpg 309X130 px

Posted on: 2009/12/11 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ahh, gotta love the Mopars! If I was going to buy a non-Packard car, it would have to be a 1958 Imperial 4 door HT. The best of all worlds, 4 doors, hard top, and a 392 dual quad Hemi. It doesn't get much better than that!! I won't mention the story on how I almost bought one of these for $100 from a lady who was going through a divorce and wanted to piss her ex husband off.... Needless to say, it didn't work out...
If I ever come across another '56 Patrician one of these days, I might check into how hard it would be to make it a 4 door HT, might make for an interesting car to say the least...

Attach file:

jpg  (24.12 KB)
34_4b22e126730b5.jpg 620X290 px

Posted on: 2009/12/11 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
mikec wrote:
Quote:
oh how i wish i had a garage! working out in the driveway gets miserable quick if it isnt beautiful out.

<p>This is true and essentially so for painting in the driveway like I described above. To paint in the driveway you need PERFECT weather conditions (no wind, 70-80F temp, no dust, etc). This opinion is offered for what it's worth for those guys who want to paint their own cars and save a bunch of $$$.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/12/11 19:19
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved